Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

How to inspect a DLL?

maitrebart
Beginner
My code runs in a proprietary framework as a DLL.
How can I run Inspector in order it can analyze the DLL's memory behaviors at run-time?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Rob5
New Contributor II
Thank you for the Forum post. I am currently researching possibilities.
0 Kudos
Rob5
New Contributor II

Can you provide more information regarding how you're exercising the functions in your dll? Do you have an executable which is calling your dll, or are you invoking them directly from a batch? Any additional information you can provide will help determine the best course of action.

Thanks

Rob

0 Kudos
tiwcpe8
Beginner

Hi Rob,

My project use Python to call function in DLL. Is there anyway to use inspector to collect the information in the DLL via Python?.

Regards,

Panitee

0 Kudos
mamey4
Beginner
Hi,

I'm facing a similar task right now: I have a VB.NET application, that calls functions from a Fortran DLL (of both of which I have the source code). Is it possible to analyze memory and threading behaviour of the functions inside the Fortran DLL with Inspector XE?

Best regards,
mamey
0 Kudos
Rob5
New Contributor II

Intel Inspector XE is typically used for memory error and thread checker analysis with C, C++, C# .NET, and Fortran applications on Windows*- and Linux*-based platforms. It may be possible for Intel Inspector XE to target, for example, a shell or Perl script which calls an executable binary. You may need to specify the -executable-of-interest collection action modifier. As a simple example:

Command line example:
inspxe-cl -collect mi2 -executable-of-interest=notepad.exe -- perl test.pl

Where the test.pl simply contains:
system ("notepad.exe");

I believe the situations noted in earlier posts on this thread relating to dlls would need to be attempted / explored to determine the outcome. How is the dll being exercised? Have you attempted an analysis from the command line with the proposed target? If so, what was the outcome? If not, can you attempt an analysis or provide a simple example of your implementation using a common DLL so others can work with and replicate?

Rob

0 Kudos
mamey4
Beginner
The functions inside the dll can of course be called from code written in any language; however, they require a large and very specific set of input parameters, which are all calculated and put together in the VB.NET application, according to the user's interaction with the software. So it's not easy to write a script that calls the dll functions with realistic input values.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II

In caseofa general inspection these twosoftware products arevery helpful:

- Depends.exe utility from MS Platform SDK - allows to see all dependent DLLs;
- MS Visual Studio - allows to see and edit resources.

In case of a memory usage analysis:

- Pview.exe and Pstat.exe utilities from MS Platform SDK and, of course, any debugger.

Best regards

0 Kudos