Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

How to measure a single core power consumption?

Aljabry__Naif
Beginner

Hi

I am performing some experiments to investigate the power consumption for an exe file running on a single core of muticore cpus (haswell,broadwell).

But the problem that i can read only the cpu package power consumption while i need a single core power consumption, Can any one give me any idea how to solve this issue ?

Thanks,

Naif

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Karla_C_Intel
Employee

If you are running on a Windows OS supported by Intel SoC Watch (Win8/8.1/10), you can get per core data using the socwatch -f cpu option. That will give you CPU C-state and P-state metrics.  The C-state residency report can be used as an indicator of energy use.  Higher numbered C states (C6, C7, ..) indicate lower power usage by the core, so lots of time in those states indicates opportunity for lower energy consumption by the platform.  The Intel SoC Watch for Windows OS User’s Guide provides more information on what’s in the reports and explains how to get detail reports (--max-detail --results detail) that may be helpful in analyzing the wakeup behavior on the platform when an application of interest is running.  Note that you will find a Top 5 Processes report to help you know what processes were executing during a collection (since they would all be contributing to the core activity and an unexpected background process running briefly during a collection can drastically perturb the results of each run).

0 Kudos
Joel_L_Intel
Employee

Hi Naif,

Good day. You may want to check "energy report" in the user guide to understand more details about what we support today. Intel SoC Watch is part of Intel System Studio product. Therefore, in case that you still have related issue regarding SoC Watch. You can visit https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-system-studio this forum and we will have people monitoring the forum there.

Thanks,
Joel

0 Kudos
Shailen_Sobhee
Employee

In addition to the excellent suggestions above, you can also have a look at the Intel Performance counter monitor (PCM): https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-performance-counter-monitor

0 Kudos