Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

How to tell if the Linux VTune Amplifier XE event-based sampling (EBS) kernel driver is working correctly

dehvidc1
Beginner
If I try to do a lightweight hotspots analysis with VTune I get a message saying that the kernel driver needs to be installed/reinstalled. The support guys are saying that as far as they know this has been done. But it's still not working.

How can I tell if the kernel driver is installed correctly and running?

Thanks

David
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Hi David,

After installing the product, simply check if drivers are available in your system:
1) lsmod | grep sep3
2) lsmod | grep pax

If there is no driver installed (there is no pre-built driver for your system), please do:
# cd /opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe_2011/sepdk/src/
# ./build-driver
# ./insmod-sep3
# ./boot-script --install

Then you can use lsmod to re-check, or simply use command line to test:
# source /opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe_2011/amplxe-vars.sh
# amplxe-cl -collect lightweight-hotspots -duration 3

Regards, Peter

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Hi David,

After installing the product, simply check if drivers are available in your system:
1) lsmod | grep sep3
2) lsmod | grep pax

If there is no driver installed (there is no pre-built driver for your system), please do:
# cd /opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe_2011/sepdk/src/
# ./build-driver
# ./insmod-sep3
# ./boot-script --install

Then you can use lsmod to re-check, or simply use command line to test:
# source /opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe_2011/amplxe-vars.sh
# amplxe-cl -collect lightweight-hotspots -duration 3

Regards, Peter

0 Kudos
dehvidc1
Beginner
Thnaks, Peter. All sorted. The other step is adding me to the vtune group. All sorted!
0 Kudos
MikeP_Intel
Peter,
I have a customer that is remotely using vtune_amplifier_xe_2011 on aXeon x7560system that Intel owns.

They report in a similar forum posting: http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=78661
that they can't get the lightweight-hotspots to work.

As root on the system, I have justcompleted the steps that you gave prior - thanks much. But I can't find the amplxe-vars.sh to source, and so I don't know if just installing the drivers fixes their problem onthis machine.

Thanks
Mike
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Peter,
I have a customer that is remotely using vtune_amplifier_xe_2011 on aXeon x7560system that Intel owns.

They report in a similar forum posting: http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=78661
that they can't get the lightweight-hotspots to work.

As root on the system, I have justcompleted the steps that you gave prior - thanks much. But I can't find the amplxe-vars.sh to source, and so I don't know if just installing the drivers fixes their problem onthis machine.

Thanks
Mike

Hi Mike,

amplxe-vars.sh is under VTune Amplifier XE 2001 installation directory, default is/opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe_2011.Couldn't you find that?

Anyway, even you don't source that - you still can try "/opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe_2011/bin64/amplxe-cl -collect lightweight-hotspots -duration 5" to verify if the driver collects data.

Regards, Peter

0 Kudos