Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

How to use Intel® VTune™ Profiler in a kubernetes Environment

Venkata__Krishna
Beginner

Hi All,

I have a Kubernetes environment. I want to use Intel® VTune™ Profiler to determine bottlenecks, inefficient code, long execution times, etc or any other useful info about the containers( containers have python applications in it) . 

I need some documentation or wiki on how to get started with setting up Intel® VTune™ in a Kubernetes environment (it can be standalone or container-based installation of VTune) and how to run it

Thanks

Krishna Venkata

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Adweidh_Intel

Hi Venkata,

Thanks for reaching out to us !!

We are checking on this internally, will get back to you at the earliest.

0 Kudos
Mayank_T_Intel
Employee

Hi Krishna,

Can you please let us know the container which you will be using? If it is Docker, than VTune can either attach to a process running inside the container or run Profile System. You can refer this cookbook article for more details - https://software.intel.com/en-us/vtune-cookbook-profiling-in-docker-container.

If still you have any issues, please let us know.

Thanks,

Mayank

0 Kudos
liuxu623
Beginner

Hi Mayank,

I found if use docker run like docker run -d --name nginx --cap-add=SYS_PTRACE nginx, VTune works well.But if use deployment in kubernetes, VTune doesn't work.

deplyment.yaml :

apiVersion: apps/v1
kind: Deployment
metadata:
name: nginx-deployment
spec:
selector:
matchLabels:
app: nginx
replicas: 1
template:
metadata:
labels:
app: nginx
spec:
containers:
- name: nginx
image: nginx
ports:
- containerPort: 80
securityContext:
capabilities:
add:
- SYS_PTRACE

0 Kudos
Mayank_T_Intel
Employee

Krishna, if your issue has been solved, can I close the thread?

0 Kudos
Venkata__Krishna
Beginner

Hi Mayank,

I am using docker containers in a Kubernetes environment. I can't attach any process to existing docker containers. Is there a way to run something from the host or create new container that can go into all containers ?
Also docker containers based on python

0 Kudos