Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4998 Discussions

Inspector not finishing job

Paulo_Lins
Beginner

Hi,

First of all, I am trying to start using Intel Inspector, but I am having a problem. The job never finishes. I understand that this could be a rookie mistake. If it is, I am sorry.

I will try to give as much detail as possible:

I am using version 2023.0 of Intel Inspector. I am running on Windows 11 with Visual Studios 2022.

Windows version that I am using: Windows 11 Home; Version 10.0.22621 Build 22621

I tried on two different computers, and the same problem occurred. One with i5-8250U and the other with i9-12900K.

I was trying the sample code (attached) that I downloaded from:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/inspector-tutorial-windows-threading-fortran/top.html

I am using a 64-bit build. I am compiling the code with

ifort /Qopenmp /debug:full /Od /libs:dll /threads /dbglibs /check:none "nqueens_threading.f90" /exe:nqueens.exe

I tried using the GUI and the command line to run Intel Inspector. The command line is:

inspxe-cl -collect ti2 -knob terminate-on-deadlock=false -knob stack-depth=1 -knob filter-guaranteed-atomics=false -offload- target=cpu -module-filter-mode=include -app-working-dir C:\Users\plins\Desktop\inspector\nqueens_fortran\nqueens_threading --app- working-dir=C:\Users\plins\Desktop\inspector\nqueens_fortran\nqueens_threading -- C:\Users\plins\Desktop\inspector\nqueens_fortran \nqueens_threading\nqueens.exe

I am attaching a print screen of the GUI console. It ran for 10 min, but nothing changed when it ran for 2 hours.

The warning message that appears: "Failed to find more than one thread. Ensure that your program is multithreaded." However, when I run the program outside Intel Inspector, I can see that it is a multi-thread application.

Is this an issue? Or is it a rookie mistake of mine?

Many thanks in advance for any help,

Paulo

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Paulo_Lins
Beginner

Hi Ruslan,

Since you got the right results, I tried different things on my computer.

It turns out that I could get the right results running Intel Inspector on Windows Safe Mode. This led me to realize that, for some reason, my antivirus (Bitdefender) was not allowing Inspector to work properly. So I uninstalled it, and everything works perfectly, even outside the safe mode.

It turns out it was a rookie mistake of mine.

Thanks for the help!
Best,
Paulo

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Ruslan_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Paulo,

I have tried to reproduce the issue you reported but I was unable to get the same result:

C:\apps\Inspector\nqueens>inspxe-cl -collect ti2 -knob terminate-on-deadlock=false -knob stack-depth=1 -knob filter-guaranteed-atomics=false -offload-target=cpu -module-filter-mode=include -app-working-dir c:\apps\Inspector\nqueens -- c:\apps\Inspector\nqueens\nqueens.exe
Collection started. To stop the collection, either press CTRL-C or enter from another console window: inspxe-cl -r C:\apps\Inspector\nqueens\r000ti2 -command stop.
 Usage: threading_issues.exe boardSize
 Using default size of 10
Starting nqueens solver for size 10 with 8 thread(s)
Warning: One or more threads in the application accessed the stack of another thread. This may indicate one or more bugs in your application. Setting the Inspector to detect data races on stack accesses and running another analysis may help you locate these and other bugs.
Number of solutions: 2102
Incorrect Result!
Calculations took 800ms.

2 new problem(s) found
    2 Data race problem(s) detected

Please make sure you sourced oneAPI properly (I just ran oneAPI 64-bit terminal from Windows menu instead)

0 Kudos
Paulo_Lins
Beginner

Hi Ruslan,

Since you got the right results, I tried different things on my computer.

It turns out that I could get the right results running Intel Inspector on Windows Safe Mode. This led me to realize that, for some reason, my antivirus (Bitdefender) was not allowing Inspector to work properly. So I uninstalled it, and everything works perfectly, even outside the safe mode.

It turns out it was a rookie mistake of mine.

Thanks for the help!
Best,
Paulo

DiyaN_Intel

Hi, 

Glad to know that your issue is resolved. 

If you need any additional information, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.

Regards,

Diya

0 Kudos