Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4999 Discussions

Installing on SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 SP2 (i586)

ovexleroptier_com
I have tried to install VTune 9.1 on SUESE 10 and it failed to install. It actually failed to create the driver.
It reports ...

Searching a pre-built driver ... FAILED
Building the driver for your kernel ... FAILED
Installing sampling driver boot script ... OK
Loading the driver ... FAILED
The VTune Performance Analyzer Driver Kit component was installed without a driver.

Looking at /var/log/vtune_driver_compilation.log ..

CC /opt/intel/vtune/vdk/src/utility.o
CC /opt/intel/vtune/vdk/src/vtlib32.o
AS /opt/intel/vtune/vdk/src/vtxsys32.o
/usr/src/linux-2.6.16.60-0.21/include/asm-generic/pgtable.h: Assembler messages:
/usr/src/linux-2.6.16.60-0.21/include/asm-generic/pgtable.h:138: Error: no such instruction: `struct mm_struct'
/usr/src/linux-2.6.16.60-0.21/include/asm-generic/pgtable.h:139: Error: no such instruction: `static inline void ptep_set_wrprotect(struct mm_struct *mm,unsigned long address,pte_t *ptep)'
/usr/src/linux-2.6.16.60-0.21/include/asm-generic/pgtable.h:140: Error: junk at end of line, first unrecognized character is `{'
/usr/src/linux-2.6.16.60-0.21/include/asm-generic/pgtable.h:141: Error: invalid character '_' in mnemonic
/usr/src/linux-2.6.16.60-0.21/include/asm-generic/pgtable.h:142: Error: invalid character '_' in mnemonic
/usr/src/linux-2.6.16.60-0.21/include/asm-generic/pgtable.h:143: Error: junk at end of line, first unrecognized character is `}'
make[4]: *** [/opt/intel/vtune/vdk/src/vtxsys32.o] Error 1
make[3]: *** [_module_/opt/intel/vtune/vdk/src] Error 2
make[2]: *** [modules] Error 2
make[1]: *** [modules] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.16.60-0.21-obj/i386/bigsmp'
make: *** [default] Error 2

It seems that it uses AS (assembly on a c file ...)

Any clue on how to make it work ?

Oron
0 Kudos
1 Reply
TimP
Honored Contributor III
For SuSE driver builds, there are additional preparatory steps required, hidden in a README file. Did you find them?
In the kernel source, you must run 'make prepare; make cloneconfig' prior to running the build-driver script which was kicked off automatically by your installation. Presumably, if you have already built your own kernel, these steps would be unnecessary.
I don't know about the bigsmp kernel; it may not get much testing, given the preference for x86_64. The errors look like a mixup in the ?mmintrin headers, not expected.
0 Kudos