Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
5000 Discussions

Instrumentation of DLLs in VTune Problem

sebgivord
Beginner
I'm working on VTune on a quite heavy software to investigate multithreading issues.
While VTune is instrumenting DLLs it gets stuck at 73 percent.It is never twice the same DLL on wich it stop instrumenting ( there is up to 300 DLL but most of them are not forcefully loaded). I've tried to find information on this kind of issue without success. I really need to find a solution to progress in my internship.

I'm looking forward for your help
0 Kudos
2 Replies
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Here is an article on troubleshooting call graph issues, in general: http://www.intel.com/support/performancetools/sb/cs-006107.htm

For that many DLLs, you should set the default instrumentation level to Exports (see Configure menu -> Options, then Call Graph -> Collector: Default Instrumentation Levels, select Exports for User DLLs, and System DLLs, if it is not already, from the drop down list). Then, clear the cache (see Cache Directories under Collector in Options), and re-run the activity.

Basically, you want to start at the lowest level and incrementally increase instrumentation on the modules you are interested in. Oftentimes, the problem will be in a third-party DLL that you don't need to instrument, anyway, so reducing the default instrumentation level can help to get around a problematic DLL.

Regards,
0 Kudos
sebgivord
Beginner
Thanks for your advices
I've got a memory problem too ( only 1Go rather than 2Go ) wich is being solved. I'll be able to try again next week. I will follow your instructions

Regards

0 Kudos