Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Intel VTune Profiler Comparison with other Profiler in Market

HSing52
Beginner

Dear Friends,

I have never used VTune profiler  for instrumenting C++.

Can someone tell me why Intel VTune is better then other profiliers like valgrid, perf, gprof ? In terms of slowness & time takes for profiling hows intel compares to others ? 

I want to focus on measuring application cache misses , cache performance.

Also i dont want to install Intel VTune GUI on development server, so can i load the output file of VTune created via cmd line in my local machine using VTune GUI ?

Thanks

Himanshu

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ArunJ_Intel

Hey Himanshu

We appreciate your interest in vtune profiler.

You have mentioned in your query that your focus is on measuring cache misses and performance. You could use vtune memory access profiling for this purpose. Please find below more details regarding memory access profiling.

Syntax

vtune -collect memory-access [-knob <knobName=knobValue>] [--] <targetApplication>

Knobs: sampling-interval, analyze-mem-objects (Linux* targets only), mem-object-size-min-thres (Linux targets only), dram-bandwidth-limits, analyze-openmp.

NOTE
For the most current information on available knobs (configuration options) for the Memory Access analysis, enter:

vtune -help collect memory-access

Example
This example shows how to run the Memory Access analysis on a Linux* myApplication app, collect data on dynamic memory objects, and evaluate maximum achievable local DRAM bandwidth before the collection starts:

vtune -collect memory-access -knob analyze-mem-objects=true -knob dram-bandwidth-limits=true -- home/test/myApplication

To answer one of your other queries, if it is possible to load the output file of VTune created via cmd line in my local machine using VTune GUI, yes it is very much possible to do so. 
You can either import or open results collected via command line in your local machine.

For further clarifications on your queries SME will get back to you.

Thanks

Arun Jose 

0 Kudos
HSing52
Beginner

Thanks Arun,

Also can i use load the VTUNE profiler output (created on linux) in Intel Vtune GUI running on windows machine ?

0 Kudos
ArunJ_Intel

Hi Himanshu,

Yes it is possible to load the VTUNE profiler output (created on linux) in Intel Vtune GUI running on windows machine.

Arun Jose

0 Kudos
HSing52
Beginner

Thanks Arun,

The last question, advantage of using Intel VTune over other profiliers like valgrid, perf, gprof ?

In terms of slowness & time takes for profiling hows intel compares to others ? Any other wins of intel VTune. 

Also is there a free community version one can use for lifetime , one i know has trail period ?

0 Kudos
JyotsnaK_Intel

Hi Himanshu,

VTune is one of the flagship product from Intel with great GUI for better understanding of overall application/system performance information.

We recommend to use VTune from our oneAPI Base Toolkit, which is free to download and use.

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/tools/oneapi/base-toolkit.html

If you are looking for getting priority support along with the product, then you can buy it from

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/tools/oneapi/commercial-base.html

Hope this resolves your query. If you have any other question then please feel free to open a new thread.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
JyotsnaK_Intel

Hi Himanshu,

We have not heard back from you since a long time. We have answered all your questions and I assume it helped. I am closing this inquiry now. 

This issue has been resolved and we will no longer respond to this thread.  If you require additional assistance from Intel, please start a new thread.  Any further interaction in this thread will be considered community only

Thanks!

Thanks!

0 Kudos