Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

Is there a way to find out if there is a connection between two functions with the need to drill manually?

zgzg2020
Beginner
I wish to see if one function is being called/is calling another function in my call graph. Is there a simple and certain way to do that?
Thanks
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Vladimir_T_Intel
Quoting - zgzg2020

That is a very useful window!! I wish I knew about it earlier!

But, I think what I need is a bit different. Let's say if I want to find if FuncX is a descendant/ancestor of FuncY when it is not a direct connection such as the one fo Parent and Child.

Is there a simple way to find that out?

Oh, I see now. I'm afraid there is no easy way to do that. You'd need to find the functions (using Find dialog, Ctrl+F) and define the connection between them "manually", i.e. studying the tree. But I'd consider this as a good feature request for our future tools. Thanks for the idea.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Vladimir_T_Intel
Quoting - zgzg2020
I wish to see if one function is being called/is calling another function in my call graph. Is there a simple and certain way to do that?
Thanks

Yes. If you want to see the the full list of fuctions your function was called from and called to, go to the "Call List" tab in the main Call Graph results window and see two tables: Caller function (Names of the parent functions) and Callee Function (Names of the child functions).

0 Kudos
zgzg2020
Beginner

Yes. If you want to see the the full list of fuctions your function was called from and called to, go to the "Call List" tab in the main Call Graph results window and see two tables: Caller function (Names of the parent functions) and Callee Function (Names of the child functions).

But, I think what I need is a bit different. Let's say if I want to find if FuncX is a descendant/ancestor of FuncY when it is not a direct connection such as the one fo Parent and Child.

0 Kudos
Vladimir_T_Intel
Quoting - zgzg2020

Oh, I see now. I'm afraid there is no easy way to do that. You'd need to find the functions (using Find dialog, Ctrl+F) and define the connection between them "manually", i.e. studying the tree. But I'd consider this as a good feature request for our future tools. Thanks for the idea.

0 Kudos
zgzg2020
Beginner

I don't mean to sound condescending when I say this. On the contrary, your VTune software has helped me tremendously in my research. But, I have other features I wish it existed in VTune. Do you suggest that it would be beneficial if I would post them?
0 Kudos
Vladimir_T_Intel
Quoting - zgzg2020
But, I have other features I wish it existed in VTune. Do you suggest that it would be beneficial if I would post them?

Sure. Please, go ahead and describe them.
0 Kudos
zgzg2020
Beginner

Sure. Please, go ahead and describe them.

Well, I haven't got a chance to prepare suggestions yet. But, if I would say off the top of my head:
1- How about when I do a "find" I can click on the window behind the find box without needing to close that find box first.
2- After I do a Find, and then close the box, then do Ctrl+F again the previously search keyword from before remains in the box.
3- A Find history.
4- Bookmark to the nods, functions, paths...etc. I sometimes want to switch back and forth between functions in the function window, but I have do and redo finds over and over. A Bookmark would be interesting.

This is what I can think of now. I will repost again if I have something else I might feel worth mentioning.

Thank you for your concern!

0 Kudos
Vladimir_T_Intel
Quoting - zgzg2020

Well, I haven't got a chance to prepare suggestions yet. But, if I would say off the top of my head:
1- How about when I do a "find" I can click on the window behind the find box without needing to close that find box first.
2- After I do a Find, and then close the box, then do Ctrl+F again the previously search keyword from before remains in the box.
3- A Find history.
4- Bookmark to the nods, functions, paths...etc. I sometimes want to switch back and forth between functions in the function window, but I have do and redo finds over and over. A Bookmark would be interesting.

This is what I can think of now. I will repost again if I have something else I might feel worth mentioning.

Thank you for your concern!

Thanks for the notes. The items 1-3 is somthing I personally missed in VTune. I'll try to push it into Parallel Studio then.

WRT bookmark, I'm afraid I didn't get the whole idea. How could I identify wich bookmark
name iscorresponding to which condition or view? May be I could propose the modification of the original idea: what about navigation arrows? You could just roll back to the previous view or short-cut to the one in the history... like in MSFT IE?
0 Kudos
zgzg2020
Beginner
Thanks for the notes. The items 1-3 is somthing I personally missed in VTune. I'll try to push it into Parallel Studio then.

WRT bookmark, I'm afraid I didn't get the whole idea. How could I identify wich bookmark
name iscorresponding to which condition or view? May be I could propose the modification of the original idea: what about navigation arrows? You could just roll back to the previous view or short-cut to the one in the history... like in MSFT IE?

What I mean by bookmark is the same bookmark found in Visual Studio. It is not very effective when you have many bookmarks, because you need to jump a lot before you reach your destination. But, it can be very useful when the bookmarks are few.

For example, if I want to toggle between two, three or four nodes for example over and over again. It would be very useful if those nodes can be bookmarked. Then, at the top of the window, just like in VS, there are arrows that would toggle the focus (center view) through those bookmarks.

I think it is very close to what you are describing here.
0 Kudos
Vladimir_T_Intel
Quoting - zgzg2020

What I mean by bookmark is the same bookmark found in Visual Studio. It is not very effective when you have many bookmarks, because you need to jump a lot before you reach your destination. But, it can be very useful when the bookmarks are few.

For example, if I want to toggle between two, three or four nodes for example over and over again. It would be very useful if those nodes can be bookmarked. Then, at the top of the window, just like in VS, there are arrows that would toggle the focus (center view) through those bookmarks.

I think it is very close to what you are describing here.

Oh, I see now what you mean. So you'd like to have the bookmarks for each grid/list, right?
0 Kudos
zgzg2020
Beginner

Oh, I see now what you mean. So you'd like to have the bookmarks for each grid/list, right?

Yes. : )
0 Kudos
Vladimir_T_Intel
Quoting - zgzg2020

Yes. : )

I've submitted the request to the new tools.
0 Kudos
zgzg2020
Beginner

I've submitted the request to the new tools.

Thank you!
I have other somewhat noteworthy things that need mentioning. But, they are not tools. For example, when I highlight more than one node in the Graph window, then, to move them they disappear while I am holding them with the mouse's left button click. They reappear as soon as I release the mouse left button. This makes it a bit hard to move them to where I want them, especially when I am trying to align and rearrange nodes.
Such notes, should they be posted here?
And, if I notice something like future tools or notes in the future shall I create a new thread for them or post them here?
0 Kudos
Vladimir_T_Intel
Quoting - zgzg2020

Thank you!
I have other somewhat noteworthy things that need mentioning. But, they are not tools. For example, when I highlight more than one node in the Graph window, then, to move them they disappear while I am holding them with the mouse's left button click. They reappear as soon as I release the mouse left button. This makes it a bit hard to move them to where I want them, especially when I am trying to align and rearrange nodes.
Such notes, should they be posted here?
And, if I notice something like future tools or notes in the future shall I create a new thread for them or post them here?

Thanks for continuing providing the feedbacks. I collect and interpret it in terms of the features for the new Intel tools, i.e. Parallel Studio. If an improvement request regards to the particular bug or behavior of VTune, I'm afraid I can't guarantee anything wrt fix, since the "old" tools are in the support mode only. So, please keep sharing your ideas and I'll try to apply them for the future products.

0 Kudos
zgzg2020
Beginner

Thanks for continuing providing the feedbacks. I collect and interpret it in terms of the features for the new Intel tools, i.e. Parallel Studio. If an improvement request regards to the particular bug or behavior of VTune, I'm afraid I can't guarantee anything wrt fix, since the "old" tools are in the support mode only. So, please keep sharing your ideas and I'll try to apply them for the future products.

I see.

Well, I checked, but couldn't find the following function. So, I am not sure if it already exists or not. But, how about the functionality of navigating through the graph window, moving from one node to another, while using the keyboard (arrows, or customly chosen buttons) besides the mouse.

Good luck with the new project! Looking forward to trying it out!
0 Kudos
Vladimir_T_Intel
Quoting - zgzg2020

I see.

Well, I checked, but couldn't find the following function. So, I am not sure if it already exists or not. But, how about the functionality of navigating through the graph window, moving from one node to another, while using the keyboard (arrows, or customly chosen buttons) besides the mouse.

Good luck with the new project! Looking forward to trying it out!

We completely rethought the idea of Call Graph and introduced the statistical Call Tree, which can be evaluated in the Parallel Amplifier as a part of Intel Parallel Studio.It's, unlike to the visual graph in VTune, presenting the grid with function names and connections. You mightwant to see some other way for navigating through it.Please, take a lookat the tool and share your valuable ideas in the corresponding forum.
0 Kudos
zgzg2020
Beginner

We completely rethought the idea of Call Graph and introduced the statistical Call Tree, which can be evaluated in the Parallel Amplifier as a part of Intel Parallel Studio.It's, unlike to the visual graph in VTune, presenting the grid with function names and connections. You mightwant to see some other way for navigating through it.Please, take a lookat the tool and share your valuable ideas in the corresponding forum.

Ok, thank you for your consideration!!
I will switch to that forum from now on.
0 Kudos