Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Memory profiling not working

Llopis__Andres
Beginner

Hi there!

I am using vtune amplifier 2019 on linux. I have compiled with debug symbols, in fact in hotspots I can correctly see the hotspots in the code, however when trying to analyze memory consumption, I run my program with trace children and everything and I can see with top that the program is allocating up to 10Gb of memory, but this is not seen at all on vtune amplifier. I only see memory associated with some of the linux tools (dirname, readlink, bash, etc... )  but not with my application. I have set the minimal dynamic memory object to 32.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Dmitry_R_Intel1
Employee

When you run Hotspots - was it software based or hardware based? Can you try both and check they are working correctly? 

If you can provide us reproducer - this would be great.

0 Kudos
Llopis__Andres
Beginner

Hi Dmitry, I cannot run hardware based since I have a AMD cpu. Is memory consumption not supported without hardware based collection? I am happy to provide a reproducer, could you please tell me how to do that? thanks

0 Kudos
Dmitry_R_Intel1
Employee

You can attach the files here on the forum. If you can't share publically - contact me by mail dmitry.ryabtsev@intel.com

0 Kudos
Llopis__Andres
Beginner

Hi Dmitry,

sorry for the delay coming back at you. Unfortunately I cannot send you the files, but what could be part of the problem is that our program is a python program that runs cpp code through boost::python. Looks like hotspots can see through that but for some reason maybe not in memory analyzer

0 Kudos
Dmitry_R_Intel1
Employee

Can you share VTune result? Maybe we can understand what is wrong from it...

0 Kudos