Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

Performance optimization of multi-threaded application on nehalem

sahasay
Beginner
Hello All

I am optimizing a multi-threaded application which was till now runing on sparc platform. We are planning to port it to linux/nehalem architecture and was thinking if there are any appropriate intel tools which can help us improving the performance of the application.

My believe is that the application is not well tuned for multicore processors and hence we need something which can help us analysing the run time cache miss, thread scheduling etc.

I found out that most such thread performance analyzer tools are not available on linux.

Can you please let me know if I am missing something? Is there any intel tool available which can be of help to me?

Regards
Sayandeep
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - sahasay
Hello All

I am optimizing a multi-threaded application which was till now runing on sparc platform. We are planning to port it to linux/nehalem architecture and was thinking if there are any appropriate intel tools which can help us improving the performance of the application.

My believe is that the application is not well tuned for multicore processors and hence we need something which can help us analysing the run time cache miss, thread scheduling etc.

I found out that most such thread performance analyzer tools are not available on linux.

Can you please let me know if I am missing something? Is there any intel tool available which can be of help to me?

Regards
Sayandeep

Hi Sayandeep,

You can use VTune Performance Analyzer for Linux* to tune CPU relevant performance issues.

There is no Intel Thread Profiler for Linux* product.You have toapply/register Intel VTuneTMAnalyzer with Intel Thread Profiler for Windows*first, thus you can download Intel Thread Profiler RDC for Linux* from Intel Register Center - https://registrationcenter.intel.com/RegCenter/Download.aspx?productid=771

You caninstall/start-up RDC on Linux* sideand talk with RDC from Windows* side which installed VTune Performance Analyzer with Intel Thread Profiler.

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
sahasay
Beginner

Hi Sayandeep,

You can use VTune Performance Analyzer for Linux* to tune CPU relevant performance issues.

There is no Intel Thread Profiler for Linux* product.You have toapply/register Intel VTuneTMAnalyzer with Intel Thread Profiler for Windows*first, thus you can download Intel Thread Profiler RDC for Linux* from Intel Register Center - https://registrationcenter.intel.com/RegCenter/Download.aspx?productid=771

You caninstall/start-up RDC on Linux* sideand talk with RDC from Windows* side which installed VTune Performance Analyzer with Intel Thread Profiler.

Regards, Peter

Thanks Peter for your reply...

Just to make sure thatI have understood correctly...

To use the VTune on linux, I need to install the windows version in my desktop and then run the SDC in the linux box to intrument my application running on the linux box?

Regards
Sayandeep
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - sahasay

Thanks Peter for your reply...

Just to make sure thatI have understood correctly...

To use the VTune on linux, I need to install the windows version in my desktop and then run the SDC in the linux box to intrument my application running on the linux box?

Regards
Sayandeep

Exactly. The working model is "VTune/Thread Profilerin Windows" <->" Thread Profiler RDC in Linux". Instrumentation works on Linux side, and send resultsback to Windows side.

Another workingmodel is to use command line on Linux:
1)"source /opt/intel/itt/tprofile/bin/32e/tprofilevars.sh"
2)Run "tprofile_cl" command with target app with argument to get result directly on Linux.
3) Copy whole threadprofiler directory from Linux to Windows for analysis:-)

It is yourdecision to chooseone of above.

Thanks, Peter
0 Kudos
sahasay
Beginner

Exactly. The working model is "VTune/Thread Profilerin Windows" <->" Thread Profiler RDC in Linux". Instrumentation works on Linux side, and send resultsback to Windows side.

Another workingmodel is to use command line on Linux:
1)"source /opt/intel/itt/tprofile/bin/32e/tprofilevars.sh"
2)Run "tprofile_cl" command with target app with argument to get result directly on Linux.
3) Copy whole threadprofiler directory from Linux to Windows for analysis:-)

It is yourdecision to chooseone of above.

Thanks, Peter

Hi Peter

We are having some issues in installing vtune and evaluating it with our software.

Can you please let me know if we can have someone from intel come to the Credit Suisse. Singapore office and demonstrate the product ? That way it will be easier for us to evaluate the product.

Kind Regards
Sayandeep
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - sahasay

Hi Peter

We are having some issues in installing vtune and evaluating it with our software.

Can you please let me know if we can have someone from intel come to the Credit Suisse. Singapore office and demonstrate the product ? That way it will be easier for us to evaluate the product.

Kind Regards
Sayandeep

Hi Sayandeep:

What are problems you met?

Did you uselatest VTune Performance Analyzer v9.1 Update 2 to install? Can you please describe problems in detail?

I don't think that someone from Intel can visit our customers immediately, instead we would like to answer questions in Forum directly, or you can access https://premier.intel.com to submit the issue - that is point-to-point mode communication:-)

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos