Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4994 Discussions

Problems with Vtune profiling

dgorman
Beginner
We recently moved up to the latest version of Vtune on Windows (Vtune Amplifier XE 2011). When connecting to our application via the PID number, we find that ONLY the Lightweight Hotspots Analysis works. If we try to run any of the other analysis functions we get:

Collection failed.

Collection failed. The data cannot be displayed.

Error: Internal collection error has occurred. Please contact the technical support.

Although previous versions of Vtune were more difficult to setup (copying special libraries etc), we were able to profile this application.

Any help appreciated as we are completely stuck at the moment.

Many thanks.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Hello,

I used TaskMgr.exe to know PID of my outlook.exe, then used latest VTune Amplifier XE 2011 Update 1 to use "Attach to Process", run HotspotsAnalysis, stop it manually after a few minutes. I can get result displayed.

Is it possible that your application is special case, or working in system mode, like as Windows services - I suggest you to use LW Hotspots instead.

Thanks, Peter
0 Kudos
dgorman
Beginner
Hi, Thanks for your reply.

Yes our program is running as a windows service. Does this prevent us from doing anything other than lightweight hotspot analysis?

Cheers, Dave.
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Hi Dave,

Since your program is running as a windows service, whichworks insystemmode. Hotspots analysis / Currency analysis / LockAndWaits analysis work on user mode, that is why you can only profile it on hardware (pmu) based data collection, ie. lightweight hotspots analysis.

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos