Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

Running my VS2008 application in Intel Inspector 2020 update 2 crashes

bmahf
Beginner

I am new to using Intel Inspector.  My company has an application that we are trying to inspect for memory leaks and your tool was suggested.  The application is C++ with the Root GUI package built in VS2008.  I have followed all the instructions for setting up my application for inspection, including making sure that it contains debug symbols (Program Database (/Zi)), all optimization is disabled, run time library is Multi-threaded DLL (/MD), and the linker has Generate Debug Info as Yes (/DEBUG).

When I set up the Inspector project, I gave it the path to the executable to be inspected, and for Binary/Symbol Search tab I added full path to the pdb file produced when the project was built.  For the Source Search tab I added full path entries for all of the DLL dependencies.

I create a new analysis for the project and select Detect Leaks.  When I click Start, I can see that the libraries are being loaded as the application starts up, but where I would expect the application to start the whole way and for me to be able to interact with it, the application crashes and I see the Windows dialog asking whether I want to check online for a solution or close the program.  I choose to close the program and the Inspector reports the target has finished running.

In the Collector Messages panel I see the run log, which ends with:

---

Error: Internal error. Please contact Intel customer support team.
Application exit code: -2147483644
Result file: C:\Users\genesis\Documents\Inspector\Projects\geniBruce\r000mi2\r000mi2.inspxe
Analysis completed

---

But when I just double-click the executable that I am trying to analyze, it runs perfectly, starting up the whole way so that I can interact with it and then close it gracefully.  I am not sure what it is that I am doing incorrectly in order for a normally running application not to be able to successfully start when inside Intel Inspector 2020 update 2.

Thanks for any help...

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Dmitry_Dontsov
Employee

Hi @bmahf,

Could You please provide reproducer? Which Windows version did you use?

0 Kudos
bmahf
Beginner
0 Kudos
Dmitry_Dontsov
Employee

Yes, Reproducer - sample application to reproduce and investigate the problem on our side. Is it possible to share it with us?

0 Kudos
RaeesaM_Intel

Hi,

Could you please let us know the updates on this issue?

Regards,

Raeesa

0 Kudos
Dmitry_Dontsov
Employee

Hi,

@RaeesaM_Intel , we could not reproduce the problem on our side with existing samples. Await response from submitter relative to an application to reproduce the issue.

0 Kudos
RaeesaM_Intel

Hi,

We haven't heard back from you for a while. We are waiting for the response from your end. Could you please share the sample reproducer asked ?

Thanks in advance ,

Raeesa

0 Kudos
RaeesaM_Intel

Hi,

We haven't heard back from you and would no longer be monitoring this issue. Please raise a new thread if you have further issues.

Regards,

Raeesa

0 Kudos