Analyzers
Community support for Analyzers (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor, Intel Inspector)
4969 Discussions

Running vtune on command line - Export data

Reshmi_Mitra
Beginner
Hi,

I am getting incomplete information when I try to export data on command line. I am not getting the number of events. All I am getting is samples & percentages.

I am running the following command to export my data in CSV format:
vtl view a1::r1 -processes -cd ',' > filename.csv

Unfortunately, the files do not contain information about the number of events. It only gives me the number of samples. My first impression was that may be the file size is too big and that is why it is not saving the last set of information. So, I ran Vtune with lesser number of events. But, the problem still persists. Also, I tried saving the data in the html format. This didnt help either.

Is there any other way to write the "view" command so that I can get the complete information i.e. samples, events, percentage?

Thanks in advance,
Reshmi
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Hi Reshmi,

You are right!

"vtl view" doesn't include datafor event counter, as well as percentages.

You might add Sample After Value (SAV) in vtl command line, like as below example: (my laptop is 2G MHz of CPU, 1000 samples per second as expected)

vtl activity -c sampling -o "-ec en=CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.CORE:sa=2000000, en=INST_RETIRED.ANY:sa=2000000" -app ./vtunedemo run

When youestimate event counters missed in the .csv file- event counter = SAV * samples. Note that it is approximate value, events <= real value, because Clocks < 2,000,000then no sample captured.

Percentage data could be calculated by using data in each column.

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
Reshmi_Mitra
Beginner
Hi Peter,

I see what you are saying.

I need the information for multiple events (misses, stall counts) in a single run. I am collecting data by changing the "event.cfg" file mentioned here:

So I do not want to run it with "vtl activity" command you have mentioned.

The SAV values gets calibrated as the run progresses. So if I am multiplying it with sample, it gives me an different measure compared to when I run it on the GUI.

So is there any other way of running all the miss counts, resource stalls etc together? Otherwise, I will run each of them one-by-one.

Thanks in advance,
Reshmi
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Absolutely you can use event.cfg file instead of writing events in command line.

Please use "-cal no" in event.cfg so your specifying SAV will be effective.

You can write more events in the file, no problem. Sampling might run them in several sessions, and merge data in one result file.

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
Reshmi_Mitra
Beginner
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the "-cal no" information. The results are much more consistent now.

On a side note, does the performance of Vtune get effected by the compiler flags like funroll-all-loops, ffast-math etc.?
I am using gcc as my C compiler.

Reshmi
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Hi Reshmi,

I'm glad to hear that sampling data is more precious now:-)

I think if you added (or changed) optimization switches of gcc, the performancemeasured by VTune Analyzershould be changed.

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos