Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Seems not detect end of apllication. Report: BUG! Please contact the technical support.

Hallo32
Beginner

Hello,

I'm just taking a look at the VTune Amplifier XE and following the tutorial "Find hotspots" with my application.

After pressing the "Start" button I saw my debug messages at the terminal and the application reached its end but the VTune seems not to detect it and shows no reaction any more. If I kill it, it shows:

AMPLXE_TPSSCOLLECTOR[9518]: init1469: detach_notification_result == tpss_er_success : BUG! : detach_notification_result == 14
Assertion failed: init1469: detach_notification_result == tpss_er_success : BUG! : detach_notification_result == 14. Please contact the technical support. AMPLXE_TPSSCOLLECTOR[9504]: init1469: detach_notification_result == tpss_er_success : BUG! : detach_notification_result == 14
Assertion failed: init1469: detach_notification_result == tpss_er_success : BUG! : detach_notification_result == 14. Please contact the technical support.find_hotspots

Any ideas how I can fix it?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

> The "main application" is calling a third party application and VTune seems to have a problem to detect, that the main application has ended and only the third party application is still running. 

Other thoughts are:

1.  Was it possible that your application invoked other process(es) then exited immediately ( Hotspots can analyze child process with option "-follow-child", as default). Note if your main process ran shortly, VTune will stop data collection even other process still was running), secondary Hotspots analysis only profile single process and not analyze other process which is not child process of main.

2. You may use advanced-hotspots instead of basic hotspots, option "-analyze-system" supports of analyzing all active processes in your platform.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Hallo32
Beginner

VTune seems not to love it, if the "tested" app is starting an other application.

Case can be closed.

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Verify: 

1. If your application can run to end without VTune Amplifier XE?

2. Was there any problem that VTune launched your application?

3. Can you use "amplxe-cl -collect hotspots -duration 30 -target-pid PID" to profile? I mean to run application without VTune, first. 

4. Is it possible that you can submit a ticket to Intel Premier with test case, for bug report? Thank you

0 Kudos
Hallo32
Beginner

Peter Wang (Intel) wrote:

Verify: 

1. If your application can run to end without VTune Amplifier XE?

2. Was there any problem that VTune launched your application?

3. Can you use "amplxe-cl -collect hotspots -duration 30 -target-pid PID" to profile? I mean to run application without VTune, first. 

4. Is it possible that you can submit a ticket to Intel Premier with test case, for bug report? Thank you

1.) Yes, as standalone the binary runs well.

2.) No, problem at the application lunch.

3.) The runtime of the application is around ~6 seconds as long as I'm not adding a few extra loops. I will give it a try tomorrow, it is late here.

4.) I'm using the non-commercial version of your tools for linux, no access to Premier support.

The "main application" is calling a third party application and VTune seems to have a problem to detect, that the main application has ended and only the third party application is still running. 

If I deactivate the call of the third party app, VTune runs fine. It's simple a point, which has to been known by the user.

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

> The "main application" is calling a third party application and VTune seems to have a problem to detect, that the main application has ended and only the third party application is still running. 

Other thoughts are:

1.  Was it possible that your application invoked other process(es) then exited immediately ( Hotspots can analyze child process with option "-follow-child", as default). Note if your main process ran shortly, VTune will stop data collection even other process still was running), secondary Hotspots analysis only profile single process and not analyze other process which is not child process of main.

2. You may use advanced-hotspots instead of basic hotspots, option "-analyze-system" supports of analyzing all active processes in your platform.

0 Kudos