Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4973 Discussions

TBS32 and driver error trying to use sampling

mentin
Beginner

Hi,

I've VTune 8.0, installed the Vista patch (this is x64 Vista machine).

When I try to use sampling ("Collect sampling data" - default in the QPA), I get an error

---------------------------
TBS32.DLL Error
Unable to initialize the sampling device driver.
OK

The event viewer contains the following entry:

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: sepdrv

And when I try to start it, I get the following error:

C:Windowssystem32>sc start sepdrv
[SC] StartService FAILED 577:

Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source.

Is the sampling error related to driver load failure? Is there a signed version of this driver that would work on 64-bit Vista?

Regards,
Michael.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Daniel_D_1
Beginner

I also have Vista Ultimate x64 and am getting exactly the same error. I've also applied the Vista patch. My version of VTune is 8.0.0.14, build 21288.

The VTune literature says VTune works on Vista Beta, but doesn't say it works on the Vista product. Does it work on the released version of Vista?

0 Kudos
aokunev
Beginner
Hi

MS Vista support will be included in the next version of VTune which is planned to this April. It will include signed driver that works fine with MS Vista.

As a workaround you can disable signed driver check at the boot stage, press F8.

You may find more information at MSDN - http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa906338.aspx - see "Use the F8 Advanced Boot Option"

regards, Andrei
0 Kudos
Daniel_D_1
Beginner

I removed version 8.0.014 and installed Beta 8.0.2. I also followed the F8 Advaned Boot Option, but am still having problems.

When I attempt QPA on a trivial program, the test appears to start, but soon pops up a window that says:

----------------------------------------------------------------

VTune Performance Analyzer - Sampling

XAn error occurred during drill-down. The cause of the error cannot be determined

----------------------------------------------------------------

The Output sub-window at the bottom of the VTune window contains the following text:

Wed Apr 04 19:45:08 2007 MYPC (Run 1) Setting Sampling CPU mask to 0-1

Wed Apr 04 19:45:08 2007 MYPC (Run 1) The Sampling Collector is collecting samples based on the following event(s): CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.CORE, INST_RETIRED.ANY.

Wed Apr 04 19:45:08 2007 ERROR: MYPC (Run 1) The Sampling Collector failed to collect data for an unknown reason.

My platorm has an Intel G965RY motherboard with E6700 processor. I"m running on the production version of Vista Ultimate, build 6000. Will the new version of VTune fix this problem?

0 Kudos
Daniel_D_1
Beginner
Running VTune as the Administrator fixed that problem. It seems to work!
0 Kudos