Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4998 Discussions

Thread Profiler cannot instrument /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2

Thomas_W_Intel
Employee
Hello,

I am trying to use the Intel Thread Profiler with the remote data collector on Linux (SLES 10 SP2). When I try to collect data, the ittserver prints the following and the Windows GUI hangs and needs to be killed:

Bistro[570]: BistroController.cpp:463 set_cache_dir(): set_cache_dir(/tmp/tp_C5063897_cache)
Bistro[570]: completion.cpp:1830 image_attributes_complete(): Error /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 ModuleCannotBeInstrumented
Bistro[570]: completion.cpp:1837 image_attributes_complete(): SET WARNING FOR IMAGE '/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2' - ImageCannotBeInstrumented

I am using Intel Thread Profiler 3.1 Build:0.27583 and remote agent server version: v0.9975. Restarting or reinstalling Thread Profiler and remote agent did not help.

Collecting data in the command line works, but I would really like to use the remote data collection so that I can start the data collection paused.

Kind regards
Thomas
0 Kudos
2 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Is your application intended to spend significant time in that library? Does a build with -tprof work as well or better than dynamic instrumentation?
0 Kudos
Thomas_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - tim18
Is your application intended to spend significant time in that library? Does a build with -tprof work as well or better than dynamic instrumentation?

I was merely trying a small test program. The real application that I want to profile has some problems with the Intel compiler and therefore source code instrumentation is not an option.

Even changing the collector settings produces this error by ittserver and the Windows GUI freezes.

Kind regards
Thomas
0 Kudos