Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Update 4 not working in VS 2019 16.1.6

David_Eberly
New Contributor I

Running Windows 10 version 1903 (build 18362/239), Microsoft Visual Studio 2019 version 16.1.6.  I installed Intel Parallel Studio XE 2019 Update 4.  Click the VTune button on the Visual Studio menu bar. A VTune window pops up but only the menu bar and window border are drawn. If I minimize the Visual Studio app and then maximize, the VTune client window shows black. Resizing the VTune window does not help. Screen capture attached to this message. Some windows error messages in the dxdiag report are listed at the end of this message. These are not helpful for diagnosing. The behavior occurs on my desktop computer and on my Microsoft Surface Book computer (same OS/VS/VTune on these computers). Is this a known problem? If so, when is a fix available? Thank you.

Windows Error Reporting:
+++ WER0 +++:
Fault bucket 125730739576, type 5
Event Name: PerfWatsonVS12Data
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: PerfWatsonTcdb
P2: 0
P3: 0
P4: 0
P5: 0
P6: 
P7: 
P8: 
P9: 
P10: 

+++ WER1 +++:
Fault bucket 125730739576, type 5
Event Name: PerfWatsonVS12Data
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: PerfWatsonTcdb
P2: 0
P3: 0
P4: 0
P5: 0
P6: 
P7: 
P8: 
P9: 
P10: 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Nika_D_Intel
Employee

Hello,

It looks like the issue is related to a new VS 2019 feature "Optimize rendering for screens with different pixel densities" (Tools->Options->General)

If this option is checked, there is a rendering problem  on the first run after VS extension installation.

Could you please confirm it works for you?

BR,

Nika

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Nika_D_Intel
Employee

Hello David,

I see the same issue on my machine.There is a workaround which helped me - allowing private and public network access for Visual Studio 2019 in Window Defender Firewall. I'm going to investigate the root cause of this issue.

Best regards,

Nika D

0 Kudos
David_Eberly
New Contributor I

Hello Nika D.

Thank you for the information.

I use Norton Internet Security (that is, Windows Defender is not active). I looked at the firewall rules for MSVS 2019 but do not see anything that distinguishes between private or public network access.

I attached the logs available after setting VTUNE_AMPLIFIER_LOG_DIR.

0 Kudos
Nika_D_Intel
Employee

Thank you logs are really useful. I'll continue investigating the issue.

0 Kudos
nul__nim
Beginner

I have some problem in VS 2019 16.2

0 Kudos
Nika_D_Intel
Employee

Hello,

It looks like the issue is related to a new VS 2019 feature "Optimize rendering for screens with different pixel densities" (Tools->Options->General)

If this option is checked, there is a rendering problem  on the first run after VS extension installation.

Could you please confirm it works for you?

BR,

Nika

0 Kudos
David_Eberly
New Contributor I

I unchecked that box and now the VTune windows are rendered; no need to reinstall Parallel Studio. I would never have figured that one out, thank you very much!

The Visual Studio folks are making frequent changes that appear to break various extensions (the one requiring asynchronous loading of extensions caused problems with Parallel Studio and with NVIDIA Insight). It would be nice if those folks gave Intel and others a heads-up about potentially breaking changes.

0 Kudos
Nika_D_Intel
Employee

David, 

Great. I am glad to hear it. Thanks a lot for your assistance. 

I am going to add a fix on the future release.

0 Kudos