Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

User Tasks show all red with no names

Marcus_W_
Beginner

I recently started using the __itt_task_begin / end APIs to mark code segments.  In the Tasks and Frames section of a capture the tasks show up in what looks like correct nesting, but they are all red and don't have the names.  I've double checked and it looks like valid string handles are going into the task_begin functions.  Any idea what's going on here?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
19 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
I had no any problem to run task API, task and subtask nested with right code sequence - see attached result in screen shot (I used concurrency analysis). Please verify: 1. If you selected "Analyze user tasks" before starting? 2. In report, there are red names, and move mouse over there to display "Task Type:" followed Task String. 3. Did you do it on VTune(TM) Amplifier XE 2013 XE U3? Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
Marcus_W_
Beginner

1.  I did select Analyze user tasks.

2. In the 'Tasks and Frames' tab, The blocks under the brown CPUTime bars are all red and display nothing when moused over.

3. Yes this is on VTune(TM) Amplifier XE 2013 XE Update 3 (build 261256)

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Marcus W. wrote:

1.  I did select Analyze user tasks.

2. In the 'Tasks and Frames' tab, The blocks under the brown CPUTime bars are all red and display nothing when moused over.

3. Yes this is on VTune(TM) Amplifier XE 2013 XE Update 3 (build 261256)

I don't know what happened on your side, I just wrote a simplest example (for Windows) of using Task APIs.

Please refer to this KB http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/a-simplest-example-to-use-task-apis-in-your-code 

0 Kudos
Marcus_W_
Beginner

It seems like if I create my stringhandles every frame it's fine, but if I change my profile macros around so that I have a static pointer to the string handle it all goes wrong.  e.g.

#    define PROFILE_BEGIN(name) { \
                                    static void * gs_pVTuneTask = VTune::CreateStringHandle(name); \
                                    Profiler::Push(ZProfiler::EChannel_Default, name, gs_pVTuneTask); \
                                }

Where the scoped gs_pVTuneTask gets down to the __itt_task_begin and cast back.  Most of our profiled code is wrapped in

PROFILE_BEGIN("SomeTaskName")

PROFILE_END

Am I just doing something obviously bad here?   Creating the string handles every frame in the MACRO is horribly slow....

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

No need to create the string handles in every frame, you can do __itt_string_handle_create() in Initializing stage, and use __itt_task_begin() and __itt_task_end() later.

0 Kudos
Marcus_W_
Beginner

Yes that's what I would have thought, but when I switch to using the macro I posted and to wrap it around my code to profile, I get  red unnamed tasks in the results.  I even wrapped a mutex lock around the create in case the itt_string_handle_create wasn't thread safe, but that didn't seem to help.  Though these creates don't happen in a 'stage' they happen the first time the profile_begin gets hit for a given section of code.  Is there perhaps some bad interaction if you create more stringhandles while already inside a task?

0 Kudos
Marcus_W_
Beginner

I thought there might be a problem with the static initialization of the stringhandle holding variable in my MACRO because we are using this macro in some functors, of which multiple copies get kicked off at once.  So i've now made my VTune::CreateStringHandle utility function do a mutex locked hash table lookup based on the crc of the string passed in to see if I've already generated a valid string handle, and only if I haven't to generate one and add it to the hash.  The whole process should be threadsafe now.

I've placed asserts around my inputs to _itt_task_begin()  and it is ALWAYS passing a good string handle (as far as I know how to tell).

And my tasks are STILL not displaying properly.  I STILL cannot get the tasks to display properly unless I create the string handles every frame in that macro.  This is in fact terribly slow because VTUNE itself shows me that shitloads of time is burned in StringCompares, presumably because you're walking the entire linked list of stringhandles and doing a string compare to decide if you need to add a new one.    However, I can't see how that's really any different at all than my hashing scheme which is basically the same, just a little faster.

I really want to get this resolved because I want tasks on my captures, and I don't want strignhandlecreate to dominate my profiles.

I really cannot pre-init all my string handles because the entire code base is littered with these profiling macros (It's a game, so we time a lot of things every frame).  I'd have to scrape all the code in a pre-process to collect them all or something, and then I'd still have to look them up from some hash every time to pass them to _itt_task_begin.

In short, I don't know where to go from here since I'm verifying I'm passing good data to _itt_task_begin.  Would it help if I sent you guys a capture?

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

I don't know if the tool supports this usage mode (wrape the APIs in MACRO and create string handle frame by frame - poor performance). Will talk with the developer and update soon.

0 Kudos
Marcus_W_
Beginner

Cool thanks.  Though to clarify, creating the string handle frame to frame is the ONLY thing I've done that works (albeit slowly).  Creating them and then looking them up from a hash table is what is NOT working.

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

I need your cooperation to help further investigating:

1. Result directories with unnamed tasks after using both hotspots and lightweight hotstpos on the same workload  

2. If possible to give us pieces of source code (MACRO definitions, use MACRO) of using __itt_task APIs

Thanks, Peter 

0 Kudos
Marcus_W_
Beginner

Alright, I'll upload those today sometime.

0 Kudos
Marcus_W_
Beginner

Ok, sorry this took so long, I had a lot of other work that needed to get done.  Anyway, here's the captures, and some files that lay out the macro I use and the usage.  I put a list of the various macros and methods I tried at the top of the .h file.

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Marcus W. wrote:

Ok, sorry this took so long, I had a lot of other work that needed to get done.  Anyway, here's the captures, and some files that lay out the macro I use and the usage.  I put a list of the various macros and methods I tried at the top of the .h file.

zip file is corrupted so I cannot extract. Would you please verify after downloading, and put a right zip file? Thank you.

0 Kudos
Marcus_W_
Beginner

Hmm, my local copy extracts, but yes the one I DL off the webpage is corrupt.  I'll try again...

This one seems to be fine.

0 Kudos
Marcus_W_
Beginner

Bump.  Any news on this?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Marcus W. wrote:

Bump.  Any news on this?  Thanks.

I have received your data and the problem is under investigating. I will get back as soon I can (by end of next week), thanks for your patiences.

Thanks, Peter

0 Kudos
Marcus_W_
Beginner

Cool, thanks Peter.

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

It seemed a bug in VTune(TM) Ampifier XE, the fix will be ready at next release.

0 Kudos
Marcus_W_
Beginner

Awesome! 

0 Kudos