Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Using ITT Event and/or Task API in Fortran

Towie__Ewan
New Contributor I

Hi,

I wanted to use the ITT Event API (and maybe the Task API) to help mark sections of my Fortran code for profiling but there doesn't appear to any event functions in the Fortran ittnotify module?

Is there a different way to access the Event (or Task) API in Fortran? I can't seem to find anything in the manual relating to Fortran, it only refers to C/C++. Looking in ittnotify.h the correct API methods are available.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Dmitry_P_Intel1
Employee

Hello Ewan,

Acknowledging that at some point we enabled only a subset of ITT API Fortran bindings.

I included the full ITT API set support to VTune plans. Stay tuned.

Thanks & Regards, Dmitry

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Dmitry_P_Intel1
Employee

Hello Ewan,

Please look at https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/544197 .

In sum:

1) Add the ITTNOTIFY module to your source files with the following source line:

USE ITTNOTIFY

2) Insert ITT Notifications in Your Application e.g.:

CALL ITT_PAUSE()

3) Link the libittnotify.a Static Library to Your Application.

Thanks & Regards, Dmitry

0 Kudos
Towie__Ewan
New Contributor I

Hi Dmitry,

I already make use of the ITT pause and resume functions, they are extremely helpful.

I am trying to use the Event API of ITT which doesn't seem to be accessible through the Fortran interface. The Event API I am referring to is discussed at https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/544209 

Thanks,

Ewan

0 Kudos
Towie__Ewan
New Contributor I

Can anyone offer any help here?

I am looking at the C header file and the Fortran module, and I am wondering if it is just a case of defining an appropriate interface between the Fortran and C subroutines. Unfortunately, I don't think I can easily do this?

Ewan

0 Kudos
Dmitry_P_Intel1
Employee

Hello Ewan,

Acknowledging that at some point we enabled only a subset of ITT API Fortran bindings.

I included the full ITT API set support to VTune plans. Stay tuned.

Thanks & Regards, Dmitry

0 Kudos
Towie__Ewan
New Contributor I

Hi Dmitry,

Thank you! It would be good to have more access to the ITT API in Fortran and allow us to make better use of the Intel tools.

I will stay posted :)

Thanks, Ewan

0 Kudos
Robert_C_7
Beginner

Dmitry,

Just wanted to second Ewan's request for Fortran access to Events. Would be extremely helpful to my group.

Best,
Robert Crockett, Ph.D.
Dynamics and Numerical Methods Group
Siemens PL Software

0 Kudos
Nick__Fabian
Beginner

Same here!

Fabian,

Fraunhofer SCAI.

0 Kudos