Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Using VTune with host launch for coprocessor doesn't run offload code.

Sigurhjs
Beginner

I've been trying to use VTune to analyse a program that offloads much of the work it does to a coprocessor. I know the actual program takes about 25 seconds to run with offloading when I run it directly from the command line. However when I run it through VTune it doesn't seem to offload and the runtime sits at about 1.5 seconds with little to not useful data. The data collection according to VTune completed successfully but the Finalization completed with warnings.

Finalization completed with warnings 
    Thu 19 May 2016 02:19:07 PM CEST  Result finalization has completed with warnings that may affect the representation of the analysis data. Please see details below. 
    Cannot locate file `sep4_0.ko'.
    Cannot locate file `/sep4.0/libamplxe_sampling_utils_2.0.so'.
    Cannot locate file `/lib64/libc-2.14.90.so'.
    Cannot locate file `/usr/lib/debug/lib/modules/2.6.38.8+mpss3.4.2/vmlinux'.
    Cannot load symbols from `'. Make sure the file format is valid.

The Analysis Type is the General Exploration with collect stacks removed as VTune says it can't run with it and call counts for offload applications. (I can't find where call counts is checked though). 

I am using VTune Amplifier XE 2016 Update 3. The code is offloaded through Cilk.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Dmitry_P_Intel1
Employee

Hello,

It looks like the application under VTune did not start correctly since the run was much shorter than should have been.

Could you please provide the exact command line use used to run the collection.

Also do you have LD_LIBRARY_PATH set properly when you invoke VTune to pick up cilk lib etc.

Thanks & Regards, Dmitry

0 Kudos
Sigurhjs
Beginner

I am running this through the GUI. If I take the command line from the GUI it is as follows

/opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe_2016.3.0.463186/bin64/amplxe-cl -target-system mic-host-launch:0 -collect general-exploration-0 -target-duration-type=veryshort -app-working-dir /home/sigurhjs/Master/master/code --search-dir sym:p=/lib64 --search-dir bin:p=/lib64 -- /home/sigurhjs/Master/master/code/c63enc -h 1920 -w 1080 -f 10 -o test.c63 test.yuv

I am using the shell scripts provided by the compiler and the vtune to set the stuff in my LD_LIBRARY_PATH. I am not sure it is correct but looks as follows

/intel2/compilers_and_libraries_2016.3.210/linux/compiler/lib/intel64:/intel2/compilers_and_libraries_2016.3.210/linux/compiler/lib/intel64_lin:/intel2/compilers_and_libraries_2016.3.210/linux/mpi/intel64/lib:/intel2/compilers_and_libraries_2016.3.210/linux/mpi/mic/lib:/intel2/compilers_and_libraries_2016.3.210/linux/ipp/lib/intel64:/opt/intel/mic/coi/host-linux-release/lib:/opt/intel/mic/myo/lib:/intel2/compilers_and_libraries_2016.3.210/linux/compiler/lib/intel64:/intel2/compilers_and_libraries_2016.3.210/linux/mkl/lib/intel64:/intel2/compilers_and_libraries_2016.3.210/linux/tbb/lib/intel64/gcc4.4:/intel2/debugger_2016/libipt/intel64/lib:/intel2/compilers_and_libraries_2016.3.210/linux/daal/lib/intel64_lin:/intel2/compilers_and_libraries_2016.3.210/linux/daal/../tbb/lib/intel64_lin/gcc4.4:/intel2/compilers_and_libraries_2016.3.210/linux/daal/../compiler/lib/intel64_lin

0 Kudos
Dmitry_P_Intel1
Employee

Ok, do you see anything suspicious in the output during the application run under VTune? Errors on library loading or any other warnings.

If the output is set to separate console window then you need to check the console that you used to run VTune GUI.

Just to be completely sure that everything resolving correctly could we compose script like:

---

#! /bin/sh

source <compiler vars script>

/home/sigurhjs/Master/master/code/c63enc -h 1920 -w 1080 -f 10 -o test.c63 test.yuv

---

And point it as application to launch for VTune?

Thanks & Regards, Dmitry

0 Kudos
Sigurhjs
Beginner

Previous times when I tested it there was no output at all, not even output from things outside the actual offload. However after running the script it runs but I get errors that aren't in the non VTune running (Out of bound errors and such).

I am gonna see if I can resolve them and see what happens then.

0 Kudos