Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4994 Discussions

VTune™ Amplifier XE remote collection using Windows* Host

zeng_d_
Beginner

Hi, I'm tying to use VTune™ Amplifier XE 2015 (on Windows7) to analyze my program running on linux remotely. And I follewed steps here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/506493. But I get some problem when I get to step 8:lick the New Analysis button to choose an analysis type for your remote collection.After I clicked the New Analysis button,it says something like this:

Detecting remote machine configuration

Please wait while Amplifier is checking remote machine configuration to detect applicable analysis types.

target -bash: -c: line 1: syntax error: unexpected end of file

Amplifier cannot detect remote machine configuration.

I'm totally confused.And I'm not sure that I  did this right :Your remote Linux or Android system is configured for analysis with the VTune Amplifier.I try to prepare a target linux system for remote analysis by following steps here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/496531.And I set up SSH to work successfully,but when I try to copy <install_dir>/sepdk to the target device,i just can't find it,so I installed the complete package VTune™ Amplifier XE 2015 for linux on the target device ,I' not sure if this is why I get the problem above. 

Can anybody help me with this?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

First at all, you need to check if the version is VTune(TM) Amplifier XE 2013 U16 or later, including VTune Amplifier XE 2015.

If your target system is Android, I have no expertise. I worked on Linux* target, you may reference my steps.

0 Kudos
zeng_d_
Beginner

Hi Peter, thank you for your reply. First of all, I'm sure the verdion is VTune Amplifier XE 2015, and my target is  Linux* target. I tried your steps, but I still get the same message:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel>amplxe-cl --target-system=ssh:root@192.168.251.1 -c
ollect advanced-hotspots
amplxe: Using target: ssh:root@192.168.251.1
amplxe: Error: target - bash: -c: line 1: syntax error: unexpected end of file
amplxe: Error: Amplifier cannot detect remote machine configuration.
amplxe: Fatal error: Cannot create analysis type. Check input parameters or rein
stall the product.

so I guess there might be something wrong with my Prerequisites, I'd like to ask that when we talk about ensure that the drivers are loaded on the target,should those drivers be built and install on the target linux system or we should build it on the host and then load it to the target? 

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

You need to check step 5, and step 8 - ensure that communication is OK. You can use hotspots instead of advanced-hotspots.

About drivers, go vtune/sepdk/src to build/install drivers.

0 Kudos
zeng_d_
Beginner

I checked step 5 and step 8, I think that I can log on the target system in password-less way, it's just I'm not using putty, I use Openssh instead. Is this a problem?

C:\Users\CGCL>ssh root@192.168.251.1
Last login: Wed Sep 17 16:54:49 2014 from 192.168.251.2
[root@mic ~]#

and I think that I installed sepdk, then what can I do to make it right?

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

I use Openssh instead. Is this a problem?

Sorry that I I haven't tried this, Just used putty

Even you installed sepdk,you need to check:

lsmod | grep sep

lsmod | grep vtsspp

lsmod | grep pax

to know if the driver is loaded. If not, run "build-driver" and "insmod-sep3" 

Have you tried basic hotspots, which doesn't need vtune drivers?

0 Kudos
Dmitry_P_Intel1
Employee

Hello Zeng,

Could you please switch to putty instead of OpenSSH and try again? The remote flow with putty is well-tested and should work. If no - please let know.

Thasnk & Regards, Dmitry

0 Kudos
zeng_d_
Beginner

Hi,Peter and dmitry-prohorov. I checked the driver with lsmod,and they are all installed. So I switched to putty,and followed Peter's steps, still can't detect remote machine configuration. I find out that I just intalled VTune Amplifier XE 2015,not The full VTune Amplifier XE product,so I can't deal with the step 7. what can I do?should I install the full VTune Amplifier XE product?

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
You have to install full product on Windows side, and note to use same version both on Windows* and Linux*. Step 7-8 are important then do last step 9.
0 Kudos