Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4992 Discussions

VTune Installation on Fedroa Core 5

ken-cedric_guillot

Hi folks,

Still evaluating tools, I have some questions

During my Installation I have chosen to install by custumized method, in order to see which tools are involved. This is one of the message prompted :

"A driver is requested to enable the sampling data collection feature of VTune..."

""Would you like to: 1. download a driver from Internet (recommended)"

So I've accepted but it failed because my linux is FC5 and there is any driver for x32 smp kernel 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp on the Intel website:

http://www.intel.com/cd/software/products/asmo-na/eng/230330.htm

So I will not be able to perform data sampling.

If someone knows something, Please give me a sign.

PC settings: Processor Core Duo T2300 box

0 Kudos
10 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Did you find the instructions confusing? In the situation (usual, even for distros on the supported list) where there is no pre-built down-loadable driver, you should select the option to build a driver. This requires that you have the kernel source available, corresponding to the kernel you are running. You are likely to get some serious looking warnings, but you should try it anyway.
0 Kudos
ken-cedric_guillot

Thanks for answer,

"Build the driver"was my second decision. I've tried this option but it didn't work either.Anyway I will consider your idea and I will try to play it again.

0 Kudos
Ekaterina_L_Intel

Hi,

Please be aware that support of Fedora Core 5 in sampling wasn't released yet...Even if you compile sampling driver your system may hang.

Fedora Core 4 issupported in the latest released VTune (version 8.0.1).

Fedora Core 5 will be supported in the future versions.

Regards,

Katya

0 Kudos
ken-cedric_guillot

Hi Katya,

Thanks for your answer, but have you tried by yourself that VTune 8 is supported by Fedora Core 4? I am trying to install FC4 and I would like to use VTune 8.0.245on it.

I am not really skeptical but just afraid of facing an other defeat. Such as FC5 and VTune 8.0245 incompatibility. And the worst is what the system requirement for VTune says:

Supported Linux Distributions (Host and Target)

Operating System
Kernel Version
IA-32
Intel
EM64T-
based
Processor
Itanium-based
Systems
Red Hat Fedora* Core 2

2.6.5-1.358

Yes
-
-
Red Hat Enterprise Linux* 3.0
Update 4

2.4.21-27.EL

Yes
Yes
Yes
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.0

2.6.9-5.EL

Yes
Yes
Yes

Regards

Ken

0 Kudos
Ekaterina_L_Intel

Hi Ken,

VTune 8.0.1 released in July, 2006 does support FC4.

The build #449 can be downloaded from premier.intel.com:

-------------------------------------------------------

NEW for product: VTune Performance Analyzer for Linux*

FILES AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD

The Intel VTune Performance Analyzer 8.0.1 for Linux* (Build 449) is now available for download to existing customers. New for 8.0.1: - New events for tuning multi-core Intel Core Duo and Core 2 Duo processors, Op-code matching, Enhanced CPU masking, Event aliasing, and more. See the release notes for details. NOTE: A valid license file is required. If your support is current, you will be able to install this release using your existing license. If your support has expired, you may renew your support at

http://www.intel.com/cd/software/products/asmo-na/eng/download/locations/index.htm.

File: vtune_linux_8.0.1.449.tar.gz

-------------------------------------------------------

Please let us know if you have diffuculties with downloading.

Regards,

Katya

0 Kudos
feng_xiaojie
Beginner

I have four question,can you help me to make sure the following topic:

1.Can you let me know the time thatintel vtune release version to support the FC5.

2.Can you let me know the time intel vtune drvier release version to support the 2.6.16 kernel .

3.Can vtune support ixp465 xscale cpu?

4.Can vtune make kernel profiling?

thank in advance and greeting from china

steven

0 Kudos
Ekaterina_L_Intel

Hi Steven,

Answers:

1) Good news -recently released VTune 8.0.2 (build #608)works under Fedora Core 5(kernel 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5). It's not the official support yet ;) But some fixes were made since 8.0.1 release which allowed running sampling under the OS.

IMPORTANT NOTE: you must disable SELINUX in FC5 in order to install/run VTune - set the line SELINUX=disabled in your /etc/sysconfig/selinux file

The build can be downloaded for evaluation from https://registrationcenter.intel.com/regcenter/Download.aspx?productid=613

2) VTune 8.0.2does officially support 2.6.16.21-08 kernel from SLES 10.

3) VTune 8.x for Windows only support remote profiling on XScale based processor PXA25x, PXA26x, PXA27x, PXA320, not for ixp network processor supported. Please see system requirements at http://www3.intel.com/cd/software/products/asmo-na/eng/vtune/220001.htm

4) Yep! System requirements to collect and analyze
sampling data for Linux kernel:

The following files should present in the /boot directory:

vmlinuz-{$KERNEL_VERSION}
System.map-{$KERNEL_VERSION}
vmlinux-{$KERNEL_VERSION}

where {$KERNEL_VERSION} is the version of running kernel, can be detected through `uname -r`.
The vmlinuz is used to check whether pre-built sampling driver is compatible with the kernel.
The System.map file is used to accurately match sampling data with kernel and kernel modules. If you intend to drill down into either kernel or kernel modules, the System.map file must be correct for the running kernel, and must be accessible by current user.
The vmlinux is used if you want to drill down to the hotspots by functions. Then the kernel file must have symbols and be in non-compressed, non-bzImage format.
If you want to be able to use the VTune analyzer to drill down to kernel sources, then the kernel must be built with debug information.
More information how to build linux kernels can be found in the
/vdk/src/doc/HOWTO-BUILD-LINUX**-KERNEL-FOR-VTUNE

0 Kudos
mgd
Beginner
Katya, all,

I tried build 608 on current Fedora 5, which uses a 2.6.18 kernel. Problem is that tasklist_lock is not a symbol in the kernel anymore, so the vtune driver doesn't load.

I noticed there is an 8.1 beta available, but I don't know if it will help and in any case how to obtain a beta license file.

Now seeing what older kernels I have that might work.

Thanks,

Marcus Daniels

0 Kudos
Ekaterina_L_Intel

Hi Marcus,

I didn't say that build #608 should work on Fedora Core 6 - kernel 2.6.18 ;)

The support of 2.6.18 kernels (FC6, RedHat EL5) will be implemented in future VTune releases.

Build #608 supports kernel versions not newer than2.6.16.

0 Kudos
mgd
Beginner
Thanks for the clarification. A 2.6.15 build and the latest updates to Fedora 5 (which would otherwise also be 2.6.18 like Fedora 6) worked fine!

Regards,

Marcus

0 Kudos