Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

VTune Memory Consumption fails with Error 0x40000024 on Linux

Peter7
Beginner

Hi,

Trying to collect a Memory Consumption snapshot of my application on Linux. I downloaded and installed Vtune today. But starting the application from VTune for the Memory Consumption profile immediately fails after launch and VTune reports:
"Cannot open data: Intel opeAPI VTune Profiler 2021.4.0 has faced a serious problem.
Error 0x40000024 (no data)... "

The target application doesn't even properly start (no window). I can successfully collect Memory Access or Performance Snapshot capture of the application though. I can also collect a Memory Consumption capture of a VTune sample (matrix) app that's included.

I built and installed sampling drivers, vtune-self-checker output looks good too. I can provide you with actual logs over email (not public forum).

Help is appreciated.

Best

----

./insmod-sep -q
pax driver is loaded and owned by group "vtune" with file permissions "660".
socperf3 driver is loaded and owned by group "vtune" with file permissions "660".
sep5 driver is loaded and owned by group "vtune" with file permissions "660".

socwatch driver is loaded and owned by group "vtune" with file permissions "660".

vtsspp driver is loaded and owned by group "vtune" with file permissions "660".

----
./vtune-self-checker.sh
Intel(R) VTune(TM) Profiler Self Check Utility
Copyright (C) 2009-2020 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.
Build Number: 617803
CPU name: Intel(R) Xeon(R) Processor code named Cascadelake

The system is ready to be used for performance analysis with Intel VTune Profiler.
Review warnings in the output above to find product limitations, if any.

The system is ready for the following analyses:
* Performance Snapshot
* Hotspots and Threading with user-mode sampling
* Hotspots with HW event-based sampling, HPC Performance Characterization, etc.
* Microarchitecture Exploration
* Memory Access
* Hotspots with HW event-based sampling and call stacks
* Threading with HW event-based sampling

The following analyses have failed on the system:
* GPU Compute/Media Hotspots (characterization mode)
* GPU Compute/Media Hotspots (source analysis mode)

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Gopika_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out. Inorder to understand the issue please share with us the following details:

1. complete output from the command line

2. VTune result folder (if available)

3. The self-checker output.

If you do not want to share these details in the forum, we will connect to you privately.

Regards

Gopika

0 Kudos
Peter7
Beginner

Hi,

Yes, please reach out to me privately and I will provide the logs.

Best

0 Kudos
Gopika_Intel

Hi,

We have not heard from you in a while. As suggested, we had contacted you privately. Could you please provide us with the requested information?

Regards

Gopika

0 Kudos
Peter7
Beginner

Hi Gopika,

Apologies for the silence, I was on vacation and then I wanted to give debugging the issue a shot first before sharing a repro with you since it's our app crashing/failing to initialize when run under VTune's Memory Consumption capture. That investigation lead to no obvious culprits. I unblocked myself getting system memory usage data using WPR on Windows and don't need to run this profile on Linux at this time anymore. I also don't have an easy way of providing you with a minimalistic repro you asked for or even a full application package drop.

Thank you for the prompt assistance, and we may reach out when we need to use VTune's Memory Consumption profile on Linux again. 

Best,
Peter

0 Kudos
Gopika_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for the update. We are closing the query for now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. Please reach out to us in case of any issues.

Regards

Gopika

0 Kudos