Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

VTune: Unable to run app that requires admin privilege

Numerator
Novice

My app requires admin privilege to run, but I am unable to start it from VTune, even if VTune is run standalone in admin mode or run from Visual Studio 2019.  

C:\Users\user\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\ImageViewers\app\x64\Release\app.exe' cannot be executed. Suggestion: Make sure the file exists, specified location is correct, and you have privileges to run the file.

The app is linked with 

/SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS /MANIFESTUAC:"level='requireAdministrator' uiAccess='false'"

Windows x64

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Numerator
Novice

For reasons I am not aware of, my app runs in Vtune now.  Issue is resolved.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
JananiC_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for posting in Intel forums.

We will check on this internally and let you know.

Regards,

Janani Chandran

0 Kudos
JananiC_Intel

Hi,

From your question we could understand that you are not able to open application from vtune with and without admin privilege. Are you able to run the application individually with admin privilege?

Regards,

Janani Chandran

0 Kudos
Numerator
Novice

Yes.  My app runs standalone with admin privileges. 

0 Kudos
JananiC_Intel

Hi,

Sorry for the delay.

We are working on this issue. We will get back to you soon.

Regards,

Janani Chandran

0 Kudos
JananiC_Intel

Hi,

In your first post you have mentioned that you tried in Visual studio. We have to recreate the issue to find the cause so could you share us the command line from linker?

In Visual studio you can find it from Project->Properties->Linker->Command Line

Regards,

Janani Chandran

0 Kudos
Numerator
Novice
/OUT:"C:\Users\drogers\source\repos\Projects\ImageViewers\Tinta\x64\Debug\\Tinta.exe" /MANIFEST /NXCOMPAT /PDB:"C:\Users\drogers\source\repos\Projects\ImageViewers\Tinta\x64\Debug\Tinta.pdb" /DYNAMICBASE "shlwapi.lib" "kernel32.lib" "opengl32.lib" "OpenImageIO.lib" "lcmsd.lib" "C:\Qt\6.1.0\msvc2019_64\lib\Qt6Helpd.lib" "C:\Qt\6.1.0\msvc2019_64\lib\Qt6PrintSupportd.lib" "C:\Qt\6.1.0\msvc2019_64\lib\Qt6Svgd.lib" "C:\Qt\6.1.0\msvc2019_64\lib\Qt6UiToolsd.lib" "C:\Qt\6.1.0\msvc2019_64\lib\Qt6OpenGLWidgetsd.lib" "C:\Qt\6.1.0\msvc2019_64\lib\Qt6Widgetsd.lib" "C:\Qt\6.1.0\msvc2019_64\lib\Qt6OpenGLd.lib" "C:\Qt\6.1.0\msvc2019_64\lib\Qt6Guid.lib" "C:\Qt\6.1.0\msvc2019_64\lib\Qt6Concurrentd.lib" "C:\Qt\6.1.0\msvc2019_64\lib\Qt6DBusd.lib" "C:\Qt\6.1.0\msvc2019_64\lib\Qt6Sqld.lib" "C:\Qt\6.1.0\msvc2019_64\lib\Qt6Testd.lib" "C:\Qt\6.1.0\msvc2019_64\lib\Qt6Cored.lib" "C:\Qt\6.1.0\msvc2019_64\lib\Qt6EntryPointd.lib" "shell32.lib" "NtosKrnl.lib" "tbb.lib" "comctl32.lib" "comsuppw.lib" "Glu32.lib" "cppcoro.lib" "distorm.lib" "libssl.lib" "libcrypto.lib" "psapi.lib" "EDSDK.lib" "user32.lib" "gdi32.lib" "winspool.lib" "comdlg32.lib" "advapi32.lib" "ole32.lib" "oleaut32.lib" "uuid.lib" "odbc32.lib" "odbccp32.lib" /DEBUG /MACHINE:X64 /PGD:"C:\Users\drogers\source\repos\Projects\ImageViewers\Tinta\x64\Debug\Tinta.pgd" /SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS /MANIFESTUAC:"level='requireAdministrator' uiAccess='false'" /ManifestFile:"x64\Debug\Tinta.exe.intermediate.manifest" /LTCGOUT:"x64\Debug\Tinta.iobj" /ERRORREPORT:PROMPT /NOLOGO /ASSEMBLYDEBUG /TLBID:1 
0 Kudos
JananiC_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for the update.

We tried a sample in visual studio by setting admin privilege with the same linker settings but we didn't face any issues. We got a pop-up while running the sample from visual studio which is to open visual studio in admin privilege. Below I have attached the screenshot of the pop-up.

Try to build or profile matrix sample which comes with visual studio or vtune by setting admin privilege and let us know the updates.

Before trying that kindly share the reproducer so that in meantime we can try it from our side.

Regards,

Janani Chandran

0 Kudos
JananiC_Intel

Hi,

Did you try the matrix sample? Do you have any update?

Regards,

Janani Chandran

0 Kudos
Numerator
Novice

I confirm that the matrix example in release x64, admin mode works.  

0 Kudos
JananiC_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for the update.

So Vtune/Visual studio works fine. Then it might be your sample's issue. If you share the reproducer we can try from our end and check if the issue is with vtune or with the sample.

Would you be able to share the reproducer with us?

Regards,

Janani Chandran

0 Kudos
Numerator
Novice
0 Kudos
Numerator
Novice

For reasons I am not aware of, my app runs in Vtune now.  Issue is resolved.

0 Kudos
JananiC_Intel

Hi,

Glad to know that your issue is resolved. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Regards,

Janani Chandran

0 Kudos