Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4998 Discussions

VTune and Photoshop plugin

terencetay
Beginner
I am developing a C++ Photoshop plugin (Windows Vista), which I am trying to profile with VTune 8.0. I treat the plugin as a DLL and selected "No application to launch".

Under "Modules of Interest", I selected the Photoshop plugin I am trying to profile.

Using this setup, I ran the sampling data collector, which works fine. But it lacks detailed information about the function calls in my application. So I ran the call graph tool instead. I can see that VTune is modifying my plugin binary, presumably to add instrumentation code. When my plugin is invoked, it crashes Photoshop with an error: "R6002 Floating point support not loaded".

I also tried getting VTune to launch Photoshop as an application, but this crashes Photoshop before the application window could start. So I didn't even get a chance to run my plugin.

Does anyone know what could be wrong?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Andrey_Pavlenko
Beginner

Hi,

thepossible reason of the failure you described is that VTune 8.0 doesn't support working on Vista. Vista compatibility is declared starting 9.0, so you'd better to try your luck with the lates version that is 9.0 Update 7.

The other actions you did look correct.

Andy.

0 Kudos
terencetay
Beginner
I installed the trial version of version 9.0 Update 7. The error changed to Photoshop reporting a program error (it did not specify what kind of error). Unfortunately, I'm still unable to do any call graph profiling with the plugin. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Terence

0 Kudos
Andrey_Pavlenko
Beginner

Here, on forum, you can get help on quite common (known) issues or ones that simple to investigate.

Sorry, but your problem looksspecific and needs to be investigated deeply in official way.

Could you submit your issue on https://premier.intel.com?

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Hi Terence:

I'm not too surprised that Photoshop didn't like you trying to call graph a plugin, since call graph is very invasive. Did you try sampling with version 9.0 update 7? Were your results any better?
0 Kudos
levicki
Valued Contributor I

What is the point of instrumenting the plugin inside the Photoshop? I understand that it would be the most relevant and easiest way but I believe there is no need for that.

Why don't you just profile your processing code outside of the plugin? Make a test application and copy the main processing function into it and then simulate some real workload. Once you manage to tune the function to the desired speed just merge the changes into the plugin itself.

At least that is how I would do it if I had the same problem.

0 Kudos