Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

VTune and handling signals

Jeremie_V_
Beginner

Dear,

I try to use VTune 2017 (with amplxe-cl or amplxe-gui) on my Fortran program. However, I got this ERROR message:

amplxe: Error: Application sets its own handler for signal 38 that is used for internal needs of the tool. Collection cannot continue. Refer to the Troubleshooting section of the online help for possible workarounds.

With amplxe-cl, I tried the following command lines, without success:

amplxe-cl -collect hotspots --run-pass-thru=--profiling-signal=38 my_application parameter_file

amplxe-cl -collect hotspots --run-pass-thru=--profiling-signal=38 -- my_application parameter_file

The ERROR message appeared with both command lines, and also with amplxe-gui.

What am I doing wrong? How can I solve this problem?

In advance thank you for your help.

Jeremie

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Vladimir_R_Intel
Employee

Hi Jeremie,

The error message says that your application already uses signal 38, so you need to set a different (free) signal for the VTune. For example you can try:

amplxe-cl -collect hotspots --run-pass-thru=--profiling-signal=39 my_application parameter_file

If this won't help you should look at your application to find a free signal. Or just use EBS based analysis types such as advanced-hotspots.

BR,

Vladimir

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Vladimir_R_Intel
Employee

Hi Jeremie,

The error message says that your application already uses signal 38, so you need to set a different (free) signal for the VTune. For example you can try:

amplxe-cl -collect hotspots --run-pass-thru=--profiling-signal=39 my_application parameter_file

If this won't help you should look at your application to find a free signal. Or just use EBS based analysis types such as advanced-hotspots.

BR,

Vladimir

0 Kudos
Jeremie_V_
Beginner

Dear Vladimir,

Thank you. Using 33 as signal for VTune solved the issue.

Jeremie

0 Kudos
baxter__phillip
Beginner

Sorry to rez an old thread, but I'm running into this exact issue. Is there a way to change the signal with amplxe-gui, or am I restricted to the command-line version?

0 Kudos