Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

VTune crashes displaying profile results

cowwoc
Beginner
Hi,

I wrote an application that makes use of SetWindowsHook() in order to run in a remote process-space (specifically explorer.exe). I find that if I run the call-graph data collector it works fine, but then when I try viewing any of the resulting data, VTune crashes with the following message:

Unhandled exception at 0x638c4af2 in VTuneEnv.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000.

My system is running WinXP service-pack 2, Build Number 14038 12/10/2003.

Any ideas? Any advice you could offer would be most welcome!

Thank you,
Gili
0 Kudos
7 Replies
cowwoc
Beginner
Hi again,

A second error I get associated with this crash is:

The instruction at "0x73dd11c7" referenced memory at "0x00000004". The memory could not be "read".

I hope this helps,
Gili
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Hi Gili:
What build of Windows* XP SP2 do you have installed? Builds between 2149 and 2179 had a bug which caused the analyzer to crash when attempting to display results. However, the latest SP2 available from Microsoft's website does not have this problem.
0 Kudos
cowwoc
Beginner
Hi Dave,

How does one find out the exact build number of SP2 after it has already been installed? Even once I get this fixed, I won't be able to view results under SP2 because of the "drill-down" bug reported in a recent post, correct? When do we expect a SP2-safe release of VTune to be released?

Thanks,
Gili
0 Kudos
cowwoc
Beginner
Add/Remove Programs -> Windows XP Service Pack 2 -> About -> Version = 20040803.231319

This seems to be a build newer than the one you mentioned yet it still exibits the crash. I will try uninstalling this SP2 and reinstalling the latest SP2 tonight and report back to you.
0 Kudos
cowwoc
Beginner
Ok Dave,

I've installed the latest sp2 release (from Windows Update) and the same crash occurs. I now know it is sp2-related because if I pack the results and open them on a sp1 machine it works fine. I await your feedback...
0 Kudos
cowwoc
Beginner
I'm going to try posting this a second time. Attached is the packed file that causes a crash when you try the view the results stored therein. Please try to reproduce this on your end with sp2.

Gili
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
You may have seen my update in the other thread. The problem with Windows* XP* SP2 is less severe than I first thought. The problem can be worked around by simply collecting and viewing a local sampling activity. It can just be a default sampling run without launching an application. For some reason, viewing locally collected sampling results prior to viewing callgraph or remote results resolves the problem. Note, however, that you must view these local sampling results the first thing after starting the VTune analyzer each time.
0 Kudos