Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

VTune crashes when trying to open "Hotspots" analysis results with "Show additional performance insights"

Michal_Witanowski

Hi,

I couldn't find any official way to report a bug/crash, so I'm posting it here:

When profiling a native application I'm getting the crash everytime. You will find crash log in the attachment.

Thanks in advance,

Michal

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Stas-Neverov-Intel

Hi Michal,

Thanks for reaching out and sorry for inconvenience.

I've submitted a bug for this. Assigned developer may request additional info from you and suggest a workaround if it exists.

You should have seen a dialog in VTune when the crash occurred. You can use this dialog to report the crash to Intel via email.

-Stas

0 Kudos
Vitaly_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Michal,

Are you using "User-Mode Sampling" mode of "Hotspots" analysis type? This issue might disappear if you switch to "Hardware Event-Based Sampling". If it happens in this mode as well, try to choose "Collect stacks" option.

We appreciate if you can share VTune result directory which leads to the crash. You can submit it using private message to me.

0 Kudos
Michal_Witanowski

Hi Vitaly,

Thanks for the reply.

Vitaly Slobodskoy (Intel) wrote:

Are you using "User-Mode Sampling" mode of "Hotspots" analysis type? This issue might disappear if you switch to "Hardware Event-Based Sampling". If it happens in this mode as well, try to choose "Collect stacks" option.

I'm using "User-Mode Sampling". When I switch to "Hardware Event-Based Sampling" I'm getting a message like here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-vtune-amplifier/topic/814208

Vitaly Slobodskoy (Intel) wrote:

We appreciate if you can share VTune result directory which leads to the crash. You can submit it using private message to me.

I don't know how to send PM, so I'm posting it here in the attachment. I uploaded the directory that with capture that's causing the crash and full dump of the vtune process captured with Visual Studio attached.

BTW, even if I manage to get capture without "Show additional performance insights" option checked, I'm not seeing callstacks - there's only "[Outside any know module]" section. Is that expected?

Cheers,

Michal

0 Kudos
Vitaly_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Michal,

Thanks for the reproducer, we'll fix this crash in next releases. 

However, there is seems some issue with your CPU recognition causing this crash on finalization. It also seems the reason of your failures with HW-based Hotspots and uArch Exploration. Let me ask a specific questions in your uArch Exploration thread.

0 Kudos
Vitaly_S_Intel
Employee

As for "[Outside any known module]" problem - does your application use dynamically compiled or self-modified code? It looks like there is an unknown executable segment mapped to the process memory doing most of the work.

0 Kudos
Michal_Witanowski

The crash seems to be solved in Update 5. However, the "Outside any known module" problem is still valid. Funtions in DLL libraries are not recognized. Only functions defined in main application (exe) are visible in the profile. I was able to reproduce this with super simple VS solution created from scratch.

0 Kudos