Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Version 2016 does not recognize Windows 10 as valid OS

David_Eberly
New Contributor I

I thought that with the release of Intel Parallel Studio XE 2016, there would be support for Windows 10.  On installation, the product integrates with both Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 and Microsoft Visual Studio 2015.  Regardless of version of Visual Studio, when I run Inspector I get errors about "operations system not supported." and I get a dialog about sending a crash dump to Intel.  Will someone on the Intel side please verify whether or not XE 2016 is supposed to work with Windows 10.  The product pages that I found at Intel's site indicate support for "Windows OS*" but are not specific about the versions.  I have the same problem with Advisor XE 2016 ("ExceptionCodeIncompatible operating system or incompatible software installed on the system Pin is exiting due to fatal error").  Amplifier XE 2016 does work with Windows 10.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

There is no Windows 10* operation system support in release notes of Inspector XE 2016 version, see this. Same as Advisor XE 2016, but VTune Amplifier XE 2016 does support Windows 10*. So, please use Inspector back to Windows 8*, Windows 8.1* if possible.

Note that VTune Amplifier XE supports of profiling Windows Store Application, but works only on attaching mode for running Store Application, Inspector only works on launching application mode - so doesn't support Windows Store application. They use same PIN technology.

0 Kudos
David_Eberly
New Contributor I

I appreciate your response.  Do you know WHEN support for Windows 10 is scheduled to arrive in Parallel Studio?  Windows 10 shipped at the end of July and had been in the works for quite some time.  I must say that I am astounded that Intel does not yet have support for Windows 10, especially given the price of a Parallel Studio license.  Surely there are many other developers wondering the same thing?  All my development machines have been upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, and the work I do REQUIRES Windows 10.

I looked at the Inspector release notes for Windows at the link you provided.  Yes, section 3 on system requirements does not list Windows 10.  However, section 2 on "What's New" is extremely terse with a single bullet:  "Added new OS support."  Given the document is for the Windows release, section 2 and section 3 appear contradictory.

Thank you for your time.

0 Kudos
Kevin_O_Intel1
Employee

HI Dave,

The plan is to have Inspector support windows 10 in the next update. It should be in the next month.

Regards,

Kevin

0 Kudos
David_Eberly
New Contributor I

Hello Kevin.  Thank you for providing a time estimate.  That will help me plan my schedule accordingly.

0 Kudos
drwbns
Beginner

Hi all, is there any update to this? I'm working on Windows 10 as well and was thinking the same as Dave until I found this thread. Makes me wish I hadn't of upgraded to Windows 10 just yet. Looking forward to an update.

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

It should be soon, VTune Amplifier XE 2016 U1 is ready, Inspector 2016 U1 will be late within two or three weeks (I estimate).

0 Kudos
drwbns
Beginner

Awesome, thanks for the update!

0 Kudos
lomateron_l_
Beginner

Is it out? can we have a real release date? that's a lot of time without windows 10 support

0 Kudos
David_Eberly
New Contributor I

Already released. All components of Parallel Studio XE 2016 Update 1 work on a Windows 10 machine.

0 Kudos