Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Vtune and MinGW

Constantin_Christman

I have problems using Vtune Analyzer to profile a an open source project (the origami tool TreeMaker to be specific) which has been build using the MinGW-Compiler for the Win-64-bit plattform.When building the project I have specified the compiler flag "-g3".In the vtune project settings I have specified the directory which include the source files.
After runing the VTune analyzer I see a call stack full of [treemaker.exe] and no function names. An when clicking on one of these items I get an error "Failed to show source and assembly code."How can I get more information what is going wrong?Does anyone have experience with using VTune in combination with MinGW?Thanks,Constantin

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Hi Constantin,

You are right, again:-)

MinGW produces DWARF format.The toolsupports DWARF on Linux, but not for Windows PE executable format.

This is a new feature request.

Regards, Peter

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Hi Constantin,

You are not alone.

This is a known issue, and treated as "new feature request".

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
Constantin_Christman
Hi Peter,
ok, this is good to know. Can you tell me what the problem exactly is?
Does Vtune not understand the debug symbols written by gcc?
Regards,
Constantin
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Yes. VTune doesn't recognize debug infogenerated bymingw gcc...that is a new feature request.

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
Constantin_Christman
Hi Peter,
thanks for clarification.
However, I am still a little confused: mingw supports different debug standards- f.e. stabs, dwarf-2.
And as far as I know VTune also supports those standars - or is it just the linux version which supports them?
Regards,
Constantin
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Hi Constantin,

You are right, again:-)

MinGW produces DWARF format.The toolsupports DWARF on Linux, but not for Windows PE executable format.

This is a new feature request.

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
Andor_Patho
Beginner
Any update on this? I tried profiling a gcc target on windows, and noticed I am at least getting mangled function names and can look at the assembly, but not at the source code.
P.S. can the status of feature requests like this be tracked somewhere?
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
This issue is still a feature request, will be considered in furture release,absolutely is tracked.

I will update the status,when itis ready.
0 Kudos
Alexey_Z_Intel
Employee

Now you can use VTune to profile your windows apps builded with gcc. Download the latest version of VTune and pass the next options to gcc: "-g3 -gdwarf-2".

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Thanks Alexei.

This new feature is ready in VTune(TM) Amplifier XE 2013 Update 7. 

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

It's working for a cygwin64 mixed Fortran/C build.  I never would have guessed the necessary debug symbol options.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
By the way, even older versions of MinGW C++ compiler ( like, 3.4.2 ) support -gdwarf-2 option. For example, here is a complete list of options related to debugging information: ... -g - Generate debug information in default format -gcoff - Generate debug information in COFF format -gdwarf-2 - Generate debug information in DWARF v2 format -ggdb - Generate debug information in default extended format -gstabs - Generate debug information in STABS format -gstabs+ - Generate debug information in extended STABS format -gvms - Generate debug information in VMS format -gxcoff - Generate debug information in XCOFF format -gxcoff+ - Generate debug information in extended XCOFF format ...
0 Kudos