Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4998 Discussions

Vtune for netbench profiling

Irene_L_Intel
Employee
can vtune profile the netbench and the system in a network environment?currently, i have setup a LAN which has a server, client and controller pc. the controller pc will control and collect the test result, so the netbench controller application resides on the controller. the server is the DUT and the clients will be installed with the netbench client application. so now for my test, i need to profile netbench controller application that correspond with the server system. and i can't figure out how?? i tried several times to configure and run the test but the configurations are wrong and the result is not what i wanted. any advice from you pls? thanks
regards,
irene
0 Kudos
7 Replies
David_A_Intel1
Employee
It sounds like you should install the analyzer on the server and collect the data there. Is that not what you want? You said the server is the system under test, so it should be where you collect the data.
That is, where is the code running that you want to optimize? If it is on the server, collect the data there. If it is on a client, collect it there.
Hope that helps.
0 Kudos
Irene_L_Intel
Employee
Oh, so i'll be running the netbench on my DUT (server) to profile netbench benchmark, but i can't launch the apps from the server as the apps resides in the controller pc which control the test between client and server. in this case, i won't be launching any apps from Vtune, and i just run the vtune along with the netbench apps on the controller pc, isn't it so?
Therefore,will i be getting the result as i wanted from the serverfor the netbench profiling, as i won't be able to see the counters for netbench through the server.
Anyway, thanks it helps me to have an idea how is it. hope to get reply from you soon.
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Right. You should still run the analyzer on the server. You will just have to manually coordinate collection with the launching of the app on the client.
Alternatively, you could use three system in this way: one system would host the VTune analyzer and control the test, one system is the client or controller pc, and the final system is the server (DUT). From the VTune analyzer, you can configure an activity for remote data collection, specifying the server as the remote system to collect data from and another remote system as the system to launch the application on. It's a little tricky, but it can be done.
0 Kudos
Irene_L_Intel
Employee
Dave, thanks for the helpful tips. so for the 3 system vtune profile, i shall setup a system for the vtune, install n configure it to launch the remote vtune agent for the controller pc as well as for theDUT(server). but how can i add 2 remote agents at the same time? I've tried launching a remote agent but not 2 remote agents. is this means that i will launch the netbench application remotely from the controller pc to start off the profile test and just add the DUT remotely without needing to launch any application? i'll try to profile it this way but can you pls give me some tips to launch a few remote agents at the same time? thanks alot!!!
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Can you tell me what OS each of these systems is running?
0 Kudos
Irene_L_Intel
Employee
My systems are running underWindows XP Pro (client & controller pc) and Windows Server 2003 edition.
0 Kudos
jeffrey-gallagher
Actually, I think you're really just launching a single remote agent, that is, just one at a time. BUT, you're telling the launcher to aim for different hosts for different things.
Has anybody out there done this, maybe have a sample to share?
jdg
0 Kudos