Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

Vtune in Linux - How to undo choosing of linux kernel image ?

dipaktc
Beginner
Hello,

I installed Vtune Performance Analyser and started off with tuning my application. When I launched the first use wizard, it asked me for the location of vm-linux and I provided it. Later when I read the manual it told that if you do not want to tune the kernel we have to skip it.

Now the report always shows all the process running in my PC instead of functions in my application.

I tried uninstall/install but now it does not prompt for the kernel image, but still shows all the process.

Is there a way to undo the kernel selection ? Or how can I view the time taken by functions in my application ?

Please help.

Thanks
0 Kudos
6 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III

Event Based Sampling always collects events from kernel as well as your application. If those events are incurred in support of your application, they may be relevant. Still, you may want to check your Module Of Interest setting in case you want to confine analysis to your own compiled application.
0 Kudos
Thomas_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - dipaktc
I installed Vtune Performance Analyser and started off with tuning my application. When I launched the first use wizard, it asked me for the location of vm-linux and I provided it. Later when I read the manual it told that if you do not want to tune the kernel we have to skip it.

Now the report always shows all the process running in my PC instead of functions in my application.

I tried uninstall/install but now it does not prompt for the kernel image, but still shows all the process.

Is there a way to undo the kernel selection ? Or how can I view the time taken by functions in my application ?

Hello,

might it be that there is a big understanding? Sampling always monitors the complete system and therefore the first screen displays the processes that were sampled. You can then drill down to the data of a specific process. What happens, when you select your process click on the "hot-spots" button?

You can modify the files assoziations in the properties of the project, but I'm not convinced that this is actually your problem.

Kind regards
Thomas
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - dipaktc
Hello,

Please help.

Thanks

Tim18 is right! Sampling data collection is to collect performance data for all active modules in the system.

"First Wizard" is to collect performance data for event "CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.CORE" only - after data collecting, the report will display "Most Active Functions In Your Application", the condition is that you specified your target application in Wizard. It doesn't mean other active modules were not collected. You can click on "View All Processes and their functions" to display data for all processes.

General "Sampling Wizard" is to use events "CPU_CLK_UNHALED.CORE" and "INST_RETIRED.ANY" as default setting. The report will display data for all processes including your application. So you can drill down to hotspot report / Source View from your process. Absolutely you can remove event "INST_RETIRED.ANY" from event listin Sampling Configure, that will be as "First Wizard" Configure... to display your active functions directly.

Regards, Peter

0 Kudos
dipaktc
Beginner
Thanks for your replies.

When I chose my application, in view all proceses, then "Display hotspots for selected items" button is disabled.

How do I go further ? Am I missing anything here.

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - dipaktc
Thanks for your replies.

When I chose my application, in view all proceses, then "Display hotspots for selected items" button is disabled.

How do I go further ? Am I missing anything here.

Thanks for your help

You have to select specific process -> click on "Display Module for Selected Item" -> select specific module -> click on "Display Hotspots for Select Item". You can't view hotspots report from processes report directly.

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
dipaktc
Beginner

Actually my application was terminating in the main itself and hence was not able to show any profiling information. Once that was fixed, it worked like a beauty.

Thanks again.
0 Kudos