Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Vtune is not give function name for hotspot view

Anonymous90
Beginner
Dear sir, sorry to bring up this topic again. I saw the previous message with the same suject, but still have the similar problem.

What I am running is Vtune 2.0 for Linux. Running Linux kernel 2.4.19. And all my code is running in linux kernel as a loadable module. Eg, mymodule.o. I followed the instruction on users_guide and specify -g for CFLAGS and CFLAGS_KERNEL when compiling the kernel and load the new kernel and then specify -g when make mymodule.o. While I am trying to view the vtune result of mine by using the -hf option. It's not giving the symbol name as I wanted. In stead, i have to use -ha option and it only give the memory address of the instruction. Although I can figure out the function name and offset by doing some extra work, but it's tedious somehow. It would be nice that if I could use -hf view the result by showing function name.

** Note that my vtune object is a kernel module in stead of an application in user space.

The commands that I am using to view the result are:

1. vtl view a4 -hf -mn mymod -sd /proc
2. vtl view a4 -hf -mn mymod -sd /proc/ksyms
3. vtl view a4 -ha -mn mymod

result:

VTune Performance Analyzer 2.0 for Linux*
Copyright (C) 2000-2003 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Event Summary
Instructions Retired
12076 = Samples collected due to this event
2400000 = Sample after value used during collection
28982400000 = Total events (samples*SAV)
Clockticks
29365 = Samples collected due to this event
2400000 = Sample after value used during collection
70476000000 = Total events (samples*SAV)

HotSpot View grouped by function (all values in decimal except where indicated)

No symbols were found

You can see that I also tried with -sd option, where I hope that Vtune can find symbol info from /proc/ksyms

mymod.o is a huge kernel module and it will run forever in the kernel, so there is no issue of any early exit.

Thanks for you help.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Anonymous90
Beginner
Sorry sir, I think the subject of my post should be "Vtune is not giving function name info with '-hf' option.
0 Kudos
jeffrey-gallagher

VERY interesting!

Many thanks Liang46051 for this thoughtful and detailed report!

The best thing to do from here is to go to our premier web site and report the problem there, precisely as you did here. (Perhaps even, just use a cut and paste in the problem description.)

http://premier.intel.com

If you have trouble opening the case, please report back here and let us know!

cheers

jdg

0 Kudos
Tejas_K_
Beginner

Hey guys,

I am new to Vtune and was using it on a Windows Server 2012 to profile a driver. I am profiling the driver by running IOmeter on Vtune and source and symbols of my driver.

a. I am geting an error saying :Cannot enable Hardware Event-based Sampling: problem with the driver (sep*/sepdrv*)

b. The function names are not visible(They are being displayed as function@123 instruction level) though I have loaded the symbols and my source code 

any suggestions??

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee

HI Tejas:

(Feel free to start a new topic next time. ;)

First, verify the driver is properly loaded: as an admin on the system, execute the command 'amplxe-sepreg -s'. Ensure therething is "OK" and "running."

Second, ensure that you have built all binaries-of-interest with full debug info.  This means both the compile and link step must generate debug info.

Next, ensure that your code is sufficiently exercised!!  Drivers typically execute very short sequences of code.  Statistical profilers only sample the EIP periodically.  If the driver code is not executed frequently enough, you may not see any samples for the driver.

Finally, if you suspect something is not working correctly with the VTune Amplifier XE, build one of the sample apps and collect data using that app as a test case.  If you can see the sample code, then you know it is something about your setup that is not correct.

BTW, free, secure support is available for all evaluation and purchased products.  Please visit Intel® Premier Support after registering your product. You can submit questions and problems and include sample screenshots, code and more.  All in a secure environment (as opposed to this public forum).

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

You can check also symbols with SymChk tool which is freely available.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff560157(v=vs.85).aspx

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

You can also verify your symbols with windbg.In order to eliminate the probability of error locating and parsing pdb file by VTune.

0 Kudos