Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

Vtune - my dlls show up only as unknown module in vtune and include no symbolication VS2019

jclement
Beginner

My dlls built with Visual Studio 2019 C++ appear only as unknown modules with NO internal details in latest VTune 2020

Intel VTune Profiler 2020 Update 1

Windows 10

Visual Studio 2019

-I can use the Vtune test project ok, but for my own dlls (which are plugins to a separate 3rd party application) their usage shows up only as "Outside any known module" - not even listing the dll by name.  (Seems quite odd that it wouldn't even show the dll name.  The bulk of the processing time is spent in my dlls, but vtune shows zero info.  I have specified the PDB symbol file path but it makes no difference.  I have run the analysis many times both from within Visual Studio 2019 and from the standalone version of VTune, both running as admin.  As a separate test another Win app I build with QT Creator seems to work fine with VTune.  I've used older VTune version with older Visual Studio versions numerous times in the past without this problem.  Are there any issues with Vtune 2020 Update 1 and Visual Studio 2019?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
jclement
Beginner

Update:  I had partial luck switching to attaching to the running host process rather than launching the host process directly from vtune.  I suspect the issue is that the code I wanted to analyze doesn't get invoked until 20 seconds or so after launch time, and even though I launched in "paused" mode it would still be unable to show me any symbols and was just reporting the seconds I cared about as Unknown.  Attaching to the running process seemed to provide a workaround.  Would be good if your troubleshooting docs mentioned this as an alternative solution, assuming you can reproduce and confirm.

0 Kudos
Kirill_U_Intel
Employee

Hi.

What kind of collection did you use? Hotspots? Hardware hotspots? Did you try both?

Kirill

0 Kudos
ChithraJ_Intel

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the update. Could you please share the application with us so that we can reproduce the issue from our end. Also, please mention about the type of analysis you are trying to do.

Regards,

Chithra

0 Kudos
jclement
Beginner

I was doing the simplest default CPU hotspot sampling.  Was not doing any GPU sampling.

I was running as a plugin inside Adobe After Effects.

0 Kudos
Kirill_U_Intel
Employee

is the issue reproduced if you try 'Hardware Event-Based Sampling' Hotspots?

Kirill

0 Kudos
jclement
Beginner

I re-verified that I reproduce the issue with User-Mode Sampling.

I then tried with Hardware Based Event Sampling and two different attempts both yielded an error - "The data cannot be displayed: there is no viewpoint applicable for the data.  Consider checking the collection log for additional information."  But the collection log didn't seem to offer an explanation.

I then tried with Hardware Based Event Sampling and enabled the "Collect Stacks" option.  This seems to work!  There were no errors and I do see call stack details with symbols for my dll.

If I switch back to User-Mode Sampling but use Attach to Process instead of launching the process directly then I am able to get stack info that way which was my original workaround.

0 Kudos
Kirill_U_Intel
Employee

Looks like we need reproducer on our side to check what could be wrong with User and Hardware (without stacks) hotspots. Is it possible to share application with us?

Kirill

0 Kudos
jclement
Beginner

The application itself is from a 3rd party - Adobe After Effects - and I wouldn't have a way to share that directly.  I believe it has 30 day free trials but haven't checked lately.  I could share an installer and a link to our symbols files for the plugin product we develop that runs inside Adobe After Effects if you are able to install After Effects itself.

0 Kudos
ChithraJ_Intel

Hi Jason,

Are you able to share the installer and symbol files for the plugin with us?

Regards,

Chithra

0 Kudos
jclement
Beginner

Yes, I could share the plugin's installer and symbols, but not on a public forum.  Is it possible to send private/direct messages through this forum?  Or could you please provide a means to contact you off-list with the links?

-Jason

0 Kudos
ChithraJ_Intel

Hi Jason,

We will communicate you through mail, so that you can reply with the attachment.

Regards,

Chithra

0 Kudos
ChithraJ_Intel

Hi Jason,

Could you please raise a ticket on online service center(OSC) they would be able to provide you immediate support on this issue. You could reach online service center at the below URL.

https://supporttickets.intel.com/ or https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/support/priority-support.html

We would recommend attaching screenshots when raising the issue.

We won't be monitoring this thread anymore. Kindly raise a new thread if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Chithra

0 Kudos