Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

Vtune not showing thread names when attaching to process

Pradeep_R_
Beginner

Hi,

I have used the Vtune API to name my threads so that when I look at any analysis data, I can see my named threads. This works perfectly well when vtune launches my application either through the GUI, or from command-line and then viewed later in the GUI.

However, when I use the feature in vtune to attach to a running process with my software (I need to use this method as the execution that I want to analyze is getting piped data from another system process), the thread names don't show up. Is it expected to work? If so. should I be doing something special to see the thread names?

Details of my installation

Platform: Linux centos 6.6 644-bit

VTune version: 2016 build 424694.

Thanks in advance for your prompt help!

Pradeep.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

I had an old example (Sorry that it is a Chinese version) and it should be workable for current VTune Amplifier XE 2016, I guess.

When you use attaching process mode, are you sure if statement of "__itt_thread_set_name()" already executed before VTune attached this process? You may insert Sleep 10s before executing ITT API, what I mean is 1) manually launch app. 2) use VTune to attach process within 10s, ensure that ITT API still doesn't execute - so VTune can records this.  

0 Kudos
Vladimir_R_Intel
Employee

Hi,

it should work if you set an environment variable INTEL_LIBITTNOTIFY[32|64]=<path_to_libittnotify.so> in your application environment as said in the documentation https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/544198 

0 Kudos