Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4992 Discussions

Windows 10 breaks Visual Studio 2013 + Amplifier integration

damienhocking
New Contributor I

After updating to Windows 10, I noticed that Amplifier, Inspector and Advisor were greyed out in VS 2013.  I tried a Repair, a Modify and a Remove/Reinstall of Composer, Update 4 and no matter what I do, they're still inactive.  When I do a Modify, it keeps showing Amplifier, Inspector and Advisor as not installed, and allows me to select installation, but they're still inactive.  The binaries are all there in the Intel directory in the right places, but the integrations with VS are broken.  Any suggestions (other than roll back Windows 10)?

Damien

0 Kudos
7 Replies
David_A_Intel1
Employee

I'm sorry, but if you check System Requirements section of the Release Notes you will see that Windows* 10 is not yet supported.  Since it just RTM'd, you will need to wait until we have a new release available that supports Windows 10.

You might try the steps described near the bottom of this article, but I don't know if it will help at all.

0 Kudos
damienhocking
New Contributor I

Fair enough.  I was surprised to see something that simple break though.  The command-line integrations from the article don't work either, although they report success.

Damien 

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Yeah, I'm a little surprised, as well.

One thing to clarify, you said, " I tried a Repair, a Modify and a Remove/Reinstall of Composer, Update 4."  Did you try Repairng/Modifying VTune Amplifier XE?  Composer is the compiler and libraries and doesn't affect VTune Amplifier's Visual Studio integration.  Each of the analyzers, VTune Amplifier, Inspector and Advisor, has their own entry in the Programs and Features list.

0 Kudos
damienhocking
New Contributor I

I'm going to check that out.  I'm cleaning house right now, there's a bunch of old updates hanging around in Programs & Features that I'm removing.  I'll get it as clean as I can and reinstall Composer Update 4 and go from there.

Damien

0 Kudos
damienhocking
New Contributor I

Still no luck.  Even after a complete uninstall and reinstall, and trying the standalone Amplifier installer, the New Analysis button is greyed out.  The Help button works fine though.

Damien 

0 Kudos
Dmitry_K_Intel1
Employee

I am sure you know but anyway for your information, Amplifier/Inspector/Advisor tools are active in VS when a VS Solution loaded and VS Start Up project type is one from the supported projects list: CPP(MS/Intel solution set), Intel FORTRAN, C#, VB, F#.

One point with Amplifier/Inspector/Advisor in VS2013 you may want to check is, switch off(remove) Composer, Amplifier, Inspector, Advisor from VS and try an Amplifier or Inspector or Advisor integrated into VS2013 only. Next step you may install/integrate other tools including Composer.

BTW, Microsoft released VS2013 Update5. I guess update might be useful in case of Windows10
(Link to the article related to VS2013 Update5 and how to get it https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3021976)

Regards,
Dmitry K.

0 Kudos
damienhocking
New Contributor I

Yes, I had a solution loaded.  :-)  That's why I thought the Help buttons were odd.  I tried the same thing on my other machine, and everything just worked (I should have checked that first).  I ended up removing Visual Studio and all the Intel tools and reinstalling, and now it's fixed.  It doesn't add up to me, VS plugins should have nothing to do with the OS, but whatever, it works now. 

Damien

0 Kudos