Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

Windows Kernel profiling and symbols

shaharcheckpoint_com
Hi,
I'd like to profile my Windows Kernel module at customer site, however sending the symbol file (.pdb) to the customer can't be done (security issues).
Customer is using the command line to run the profiler and since he doesn't have the symbol file he cant use the '--search-dir sym=' parameter. Once profiling has finished, the customer sends the results to me.
The question is - How can I open the result file on my machine and use the symbol file? (It seems that VTune don't know how to search for the symbols).
Thanks in advance,
Shahar.
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Mark_D_Intel
Employee
You should be able redo the symbol resolution by finalizing the result again (and specifying the symbol file path)
From the command line, 'amplxe-cl -finalize -r -search-dir sym='

From the GUI, look at the 'Analysis Type' tab. Use the 'Project Properties' button to add search directories, and then use the 'Re-resolve' button.

Mark

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Mark_D_Intel
Employee
You should be able redo the symbol resolution by finalizing the result again (and specifying the symbol file path)
From the command line, 'amplxe-cl -finalize -r -search-dir sym='

From the GUI, look at the 'Analysis Type' tab. Use the 'Project Properties' button to add search directories, and then use the 'Re-resolve' button.

Mark
0 Kudos
shaharcheckpoint_com
Hi Mark,
Thank you for your excellent and fast reply. The command line option worked perfectly. The GUI didn't since I don't have a project opened so the 'Project Properties' button can't be used.
Anyway the command line is more than enough - Thanks again.
Shahar.
0 Kudos