Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4974 Discussions

amplxe-gui hanging when trying to generate sample data

Jan_Lindheim
Beginner
When trying to runamplxe-gui from Vtune Amplifier XEto generate sample data on a simple test code,
it hangs forever. This is on 64-bit RedHat 5.3.
The command line tools are able to generate sample data for the same application just fine.
Any ideas on what to try next?
Thanks!
JL
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Are you using latest Update 5?

Is it possible some GUI components are corrupted? So you may uninstall/reinstall the product and retry. Did you see any error message before it hung?

Is it a RedHat Enterprise Server 5.3 64bit specific issue?

Can you open result (generated by command line) from amplxe-gui?

Regards, Peter

0 Kudos
Jan_Lindheim
Beginner
Yes, this is with Update 5.
I have tried installing it a few times.
We are running on Opterons, so I have have to let the install script skip the prerequisite step.
The RedHat 5.3 is very standard.
The results from the command tools are viewable from amplxe-gui.
Thanks,
Jan
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
If you skipped the prerequisite step, that doesn't guarantee the GUI will work properly.

Anyway, collecting data and displaying results is a workround for untested environment.

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
Jan_Lindheim
Beginner
Since I had to skip the prerequisite step in order to proceed with the installation when the hardware was recognized, is there something I can tune manually to try to get past this. Is there f.ex. some generic setting I can try for a 64-bit architecture?
Thanks,
Jan
0 Kudos
Mark_D_Intel
Employee
Could you say more specifically at what stage the GUI is hanging?
Does the target app start running? Finish running? Is it hanging during finalization (loading data, symbol resolution, etc).
0 Kudos
Jan_Lindheim
Beginner
After opening a project and then selecting a new analysis, a grey box opens at the upper left of the
main window and the gui stops responding. If I at this point hit ^C from the window I started the GUI from,
the grey box disappears and the window gets updated with a menu for "Choose Analyse Type".
The "Start" and "Start Paused" buttons to the right are greyed out and I am not able to choose
any type of anlyse from the list on the left.
Thanks,
Jan
0 Kudos