Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
softarts
Beginner

how to calculate Mispredicted Branches Retired per Branch Instruction Retired?

The software optimization cookbook,chapter 7 show us how to calculate the mispredicted branches retired,
but I still have one question about it.

the book

1.Vtune windows has the ratio"Branch Misprediction per Branch Instruction Retired is 0.255 for functio check_3dd,
but Vtune Linux only show the function "check_3odd" occupy 88% total Branch mispredictedion. and no this option in the activity configuration / ratios

2.so I have to calculateratio by myself, "Branch Misprediction per Branch Instruction Retired=BR_INST_RETIRED.MISPRED / BR_INST_RETIRED.ANY"??
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Vladimir_T_Intel

Quoting - softarts
The software optimization cookbook,chapter 7 show us how to calculate the mispredicted branches retired,
but I still have one question about it.

the book

1.Vtune windows has the ratio"Branch Misprediction per Branch Instruction Retired is 0.255 for functio check_3dd,
but Vtune Linux only show the function "check_3odd" occupy 88% total Branch mispredictedion. and no this option in the activity configuration / ratios

2.so I have to calculateratio by myself, "Branch Misprediction per Branch Instruction Retired=BR_INST_RETIRED.MISPRED / BR_INST_RETIRED.ANY"??

There is no difference in calculating the branch misprediction ratio on Windows and Linux. So, if there is no such a ratio in VTune for Linux (which I can't check at the moment), you can calculate it manually (i.e. using Excel spreadsheet). Was that the question?

softarts
Beginner

There is no difference in calculating the branch misprediction ratio on Windows and Linux. So, if there is no such a ratio in VTune for Linux (which I can't check at the moment), you can calculate it manually (i.e. using Excel spreadsheet). Was that the question?

no,just curious that no this ratio on Linux,but Windows has.
Vladimir_T_Intel

Quoting - softarts

no,just curious that no this ratio on Linux,but Windows has.
Must be somebody overlooked it. But you can create your own.