Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

_init() instrumentation failed

Richard_H_1
Beginner

I'm getting an instrumentation fault when I attempt to do a hotspot analysis. It is an evaluation copy and the binary was generated by a Go compiler. Does anyone have a clue why vtune is looking for queens_init() and what it wants to do with it? The only other possibly unrelated issue was that I had to remove my /etc/fuse.conf to work around an install seg fault but it is hard to imagine that is the problem.

Thanks in advance...

/opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe_2015.1.0.367959/bin64/amplxe-cl -collect hotspots -target-duration-type=veryshort -app-working-dir mumble/work/code/queens/src --search-dir sym:p=/usr/local/google/home/rlh/work/code/queens/src -- ~mumble/work/code/queens/src/queens 10

Data collection is completed with warnings
    Mon 08 Dec 2014 11:10:44 AM EST  The result file 'mumble/intel/amplxe/projects/queens/r002hs/r002hs.amplxe' is created and added to the project queens. Please see warning messages for details. 
    [2014.12.08 11:10:35] mumble/work/code/queens/src/queens _init() instrumentation failed.

Finalization completed with warnings 
    Mon 08 Dec 2014 11:10:45 AM EST  Result finalization has completed with warnings that may affect the representation of the analysis data. Please see details below. 
    Cannot find data to precompute. Skipping the precomputation step.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Alexey_B_Intel
Employee

Hi Richard,

If your mumble/work/code/queens/src/queens binary is the dynamically linked one and after all you see the Hotspots picture then you may ignore the warning message. Install segmentation fault is not related to the warning either.

WBR, Alexey

0 Kudos
Richard_H_1
Beginner

Sorry looks like responding the email ends up in some admin account. So here is what I said.

Thanks, I punted on the Hotspots and I am now using the "Advanced Hotspot" collection tool and things seem to be running. The lunch table speculation, and I can't emphasize enough that it was just speculation, was that VTune and Go were having trouble agreeing on where a function started. Since the "Advanced Hotspot" tool is working I'll just use it.

0 Kudos
Pushpa_H_
Beginner

Hello!

I am running hotspots analysis and locks and waits analysis on my program. I am also getting same error.

amplxe: Warning: [2015.02.25 11:15:48] /lib/ld-2.11.3.so _init() instrumentation failed.

I tried many times with advance hotspots with first option hotspots it works fine and launch application.

But with locks and waits it fails to launch application.

With vtune 2013 this was not a problem.

0 Kudos
Pushpa_H_
Beginner

Hello!

can anyboday say about launching application for locks and waits analysis.

or I can't perform locks and waits with launch application as target in XE2015.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Alexey_B_Intel
Employee

Hi Pushpa,

Is your application compiled by Go compiler? If yes, then Advanced Hotspots is the only Analysis you may apply currently.

WBR,

Alexey

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Please see this thread, if you used Go compiler to generate binary - it changes call call convention.

1. Instrumenting program on _init() failure, when using user mode sampling (basic hotspots, concurrency, locksandwaits). As result, there is no hot function was displayed.

2. Using advanced-hotspots and other Event-based sampling, like " amplxe-cl -collect advanced-hotspots -knob collection-detail=stack-sampling -d 60 ./bench -bench=splay" - there is NO call stack info in bottom-up report. If you don't need call info, you can use advanced-hotsopts.

3. I used 2013 version Update 17, it has same issue for point 1.

So, supporting "Go" compiler is a new feature request, you can use advanced-hotspots instead but without call stack info, generated by VTune.  

0 Kudos
Pushpa_H_
Beginner

I am using intel compiler icc (ICC) 14.0.3 20140422.

0 Kudos
Pushpa_H_
Beginner

this link is not found.

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

I modified the link, sorry.

I regarded that you used Go compiler - actually you used Intel C/C++ compiler 14.0 (if this is the case, you'rd better to initiate another thread to avoid misunderstandings!)

You said, there was no problem on version 2013. Is it possible due to ld-2.11.3? You might use high gcc version, I mean that higher linker library will be used by Intel compiler.

Would you like to post binary so I can investigate this issue? Or you can go https://premier.intel.com to submit the issue with test case. Thank you! 

0 Kudos