Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

problem to load driver for vtune 9.1

xiaozhu_kang
Beginner
hi,

I tried to install the driver manuualy for my vtune because it failed to install automatically. I have no problem with build-driver, but when i try to load it, i got the following error msg. I searched online for possible solutions, but didn't see any related information. I am running fedora 2.6.25.6-27.fc8. pls help

insmod: error inserting './vtune_drv-x32_64-2.6.25.6-27.fc8smp.ko': -1 Invalid module format

Error: sampling driver failed to load!

Please check /var/log/messages for additional information.

You may need to build a sampling driver for your kernel.
Please see the sampling driver README for instructions.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
hi,

I tried to install the driver manuualy for my vtune because it failed to install automatically. I have no problem with build-driver, but when i try to load it, i got the following error msg. I searched online for possible solutions, but didn't see any related information. I am running fedora 2.6.25.6-27.fc8. pls help

insmod: error inserting './vtune_drv-x32_64-2.6.25.6-27.fc8smp.ko': -1 Invalid module format

Error: sampling driver failed to load!

Please check /var/log/messages for additional information.

You may need to build a sampling driver for your kernel.
Please see the sampling driver README for instructions.

I just wonder that Fedora* Core 8 kernel version is 2.6.23.1-42 - VTune Analyzer 9.1 U1 for Linux* already provided pre-built vtune driver (vtune_drv-x32_64-2.6.23.1-42.fc8smp.ko), which will be loaded during product's installing. It seems your using Fedora* Core 8 is updated version?

1. Use `uname -r` to know your running system's kernel version
2. Ensure that your Linux* kernel source version does match running system's - check $(kernel_path)/include/linux/version.h, Macro UTS_RELEASE
3. It should work when you load right vtune driver.

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
xiaozhu_kang
Beginner

I just wonder that Fedora* Core 8 kernel version is 2.6.23.1-42 - VTune Analyzer 9.1 U1 for Linux* already provided pre-built vtune driver (vtune_drv-x32_64-2.6.23.1-42.fc8smp.ko), which will be loaded during product's installing. It seems your using Fedora* Core 8 is updated version?

1. Use `uname -r` to know your running system's kernel version
2. Ensure that your Linux* kernel source version does match running system's - check $(kernel_path)/include/linux/version.h, Macro UTS_RELEASE
3. It should work when you load right vtune driver.

Regards, Peter

when i use'uname -r', it gives 2.6.25.6-27.fc8

the version in the version.h shows : #define KERNEL_VERSION(a,b,c) (((a) << 16) + ((b) << 8) + (c))

in the automatical installation, it can't succeed, then i found out that the running kernel version is difference from the kernel source code in default dir /usr/src/kernels. so i choose to build the driver mannually, and the same time install a fresh version of the running kernel source locally, and feed the dir to the ./build-driver, it goes through. but the load driver reports the above errors. so ...........

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
As you appear to have figured out, each time there is an update of the running kernel, you must install the corresponding kernel source update and build a VTune driver with the new source, so the numbers match. If you use your package management system to install kernel source the first time, it ought to remember the updates by itself.
You may find on reboot that the auto start for VTune is looking for your new driver in the upper /vdk/ directory rather than in the directory where it was built.
When you get a new kernel source for some distros, it may come without all the files expected by the driver; in that case, you should look for the documentation hidden under /vdk/ about the make cloneconfig and make prepare commands.
0 Kudos