Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4974 Discussions

profiling Visual Fortran program with windows 7

chubb87
Beginner
Hi,

I am using the Fortran compiler of Intel with Visual Studio 2008 Pro on a Windows 7 system.
How can I profile my code similar to the profiling function in MATLAB (time spend and number of calls of each line)?
I have already installed Vtune and the update for the Thread profiler, but I have read something about no integration under Windows 7.

Is it possible to use it together and how does it work? (I do not know which of the two mentioned products is better suited for what I want, and how to use it)

If it does not work under Windows 7, are there alternatives?

Integration into Visual Studio* 2008 not working

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Ravi_V_Intel
Employee
The Call Graph feature of VTune Analyzer can be used to determine the full caller-callee sequence for the program execution as well as the time spent within the function as well as in descendents. Please give this feature a try and let me know if you experience any difficulty in using it.
0 Kudos
chubb87
Beginner
I have created a new call Call graph project with windows profiling, but then I am unsure what to do.
The demos and help files do not really help.

I tried specifying the .exe in the debug folder of my Fortran project, but the error message is
"The CPU architecture can't be identified properly; data collection is not available."
The same happens if I choose no application to launch and then for module of interest the .exe of the debug folder.

Or do I have to specify the ifort.exe of the Intel compiler?
0 Kudos
chubb87
Beginner
seems it is because I am using an AMD processor:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=53645

I will give CodeAnalyst a try.
0 Kudos