Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

"Memory access" analysis cause the computer to hang

Belykh__Aleksei
Beginner

Debian 9.2.3 x86_64 and OpenSuse 4.2.3 x86_64. My processor is i5-4690. I use Intel® Parallel Studio XE Cluster Edition for Linux 2018 update 1 and 2017 update 5 (for Students). My project is built using Qt Creator 5.10.0 x64.

I tried to use both the gcc compiler and the Intel compiler for C ++. I tried to perform the analysis under both operating systems, Vtune Amplifiers and with all three builds: Release, Profiling and Debug. "Basic Hotspots" analysis is performed well, but "Memory access" analysis makes the computer to hang (doesn't react to any user actions). Even the clock in the system tray stops changing its value. I deleted all the specific compiler options from the pro- file, that were made to improve the performance of the application.

Other applications in my system work well. The computer does not spontaneously reboot. 
What can I do to make the analysis work?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Belykh__Aleksei
Beginner

I tried to perform the analysis with Parallel Studio XE 2017 update5 (cluster edition), but got the same results (computer doesn't react to any user actions).

0 Kudos
McCalpinJohn
Honored Contributor III

I am not familiar with the numbering of Debian or OpenSuse distributions, but Intel recently made an announcement about potential incompatibilities between the current versions of Amplifier XE and OS's patched for the Meltdown exploit:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-vtune-amplifier-impact-of-recent-os-security-updates

0 Kudos