Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

"-collect-with runsa -knob event-config" only works with Basic Performance Tuning Events

John_Z_
Beginner

For example

event-config=CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.THREAD

works fine. But for many others such as MEM_UNCORE_RETIRED.REMOTE_DRAM

amplxe-cl will give error like:

amplxe: Error: Cannot configure sampling event groups. The collection is terminated.

Could anyone help? Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

What VTune(TM) Amplifier XE 2015 version do you use?

I don't know your platform, please don't run PMU event-based sampling on guest Linux* operation system on Virtual Machine. And, check if you your desired event(s) can be supported on your platform, for example - run:

amplxe-runss -event-list|grep UNCORE

As I know many OFFCORE_RESPONSE.* can be supported, and events with prefix "UNCORE" is not supported on my side.  

0 Kudos
John_Z_
Beginner

vtune version is vtune_amplifier_xe_2015_update4

It is not VM. OS is centos.

CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2470 v2 @ 2.40GHz

And "/opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe/bin64/amplxe-runss -event-list" gives nothing in output. Thanks

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

And "/opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe/bin64/amplxe-runss -event-list" gives nothing in output. Thanks

This is interesting! I downloaded U4 and I can reproduce this problem. (It works until U3 version)

I will submit this issue to developer. As a workaround, you can use amplxe-gui to create a project, start a new analysis, right-click on "advanced hotspots", Copy from here->Add Events will display all supported event list. See attached screen shot.

0 Kudos
Dmitry_P_Intel1
Employee

Hello John,

The event MEM_UNCORE_RETIRED.REMOTE_DRAM is actual for Nehalem-based architecture (XEON 5500) and  E5-2470 v2 that you pointed is Ivy Bridge based processor so I'm afraid you will not be able to collect the event on it.

Thanks & Regards, Dmitry

0 Kudos
John_Z_
Beginner

Peter, Thanks!

However I can not use GUI in target system. Is there any other workaround? 

Dmitry, the problem is no events are available, as "-event-list" does not show anything.

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

@ John

Dmitry told me that using "/opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe_2015/bin64/sep -el" is another workaround to know supported events.

0 Kudos
Dmitry_P_Intel1
Employee

Hello John,

amplxe-runss -event-list was undocumented internal feature and it is not supported in the latest updates, and yes it is possible to use "sep -e" for the list of core events and again this is for internal pusposes.

Again - the event you pointed is not available on newer Ivy Bridge-based Xeon processors. BTW - complete event lists are available in Inel Software Developmet manual matetials https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/manuals/64-ia-32-architectures-software-developer-manual-325462.pdf Chapter 19, table 19.4.1 for your Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2470 v2 processor.

Thanks & Regards, Dmitry

0 Kudos