Analyzers
Support for Analyzers (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor, Intel Inspector)
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
4554 Discussions

"-collect-with runsa -knob event-config" only works with Basic Performance Tuning Events

John_Z_
Beginner

For example

event-config=CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.THREAD

works fine. But for many others such as MEM_UNCORE_RETIRED.REMOTE_DRAM

amplxe-cl will give error like:

amplxe: Error: Cannot configure sampling event groups. The collection is terminated.

Could anyone help? Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

What VTune(TM) Amplifier XE 2015 version do you use?

I don't know your platform, please don't run PMU event-based sampling on guest Linux* operation system on Virtual Machine. And, check if you your desired event(s) can be supported on your platform, for example - run:

amplxe-runss -event-list|grep UNCORE

As I know many OFFCORE_RESPONSE.* can be supported, and events with prefix "UNCORE" is not supported on my side.  

John_Z_
Beginner

vtune version is vtune_amplifier_xe_2015_update4

It is not VM. OS is centos.

CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2470 v2 @ 2.40GHz

And "/opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe/bin64/amplxe-runss -event-list" gives nothing in output. Thanks

Peter_W_Intel
Employee

And "/opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe/bin64/amplxe-runss -event-list" gives nothing in output. Thanks

This is interesting! I downloaded U4 and I can reproduce this problem. (It works until U3 version)

I will submit this issue to developer. As a workaround, you can use amplxe-gui to create a project, start a new analysis, right-click on "advanced hotspots", Copy from here->Add Events will display all supported event list. See attached screen shot.

Dmitry_P_Intel1
Employee

Hello John,

The event MEM_UNCORE_RETIRED.REMOTE_DRAM is actual for Nehalem-based architecture (XEON 5500) and  E5-2470 v2 that you pointed is Ivy Bridge based processor so I'm afraid you will not be able to collect the event on it.

Thanks & Regards, Dmitry

John_Z_
Beginner

Peter, Thanks!

However I can not use GUI in target system. Is there any other workaround? 

Dmitry, the problem is no events are available, as "-event-list" does not show anything.

Peter_W_Intel
Employee

@ John

Dmitry told me that using "/opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe_2015/bin64/sep -el" is another workaround to know supported events.

Dmitry_P_Intel1
Employee

Hello John,

amplxe-runss -event-list was undocumented internal feature and it is not supported in the latest updates, and yes it is possible to use "sep -e" for the list of core events and again this is for internal pusposes.

Again - the event you pointed is not available on newer Ivy Bridge-based Xeon processors. BTW - complete event lists are available in Inel Software Developmet manual matetials https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/manuals/64-ia-32-architectures-soft... Chapter 19, table 19.4.1 for your Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2470 v2 processor.

Thanks & Regards, Dmitry