Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
5001 Discussions

sampling driver failed to load

rpb
Beginner
Hi,

I am trying to install VTune to a 4-node server whose details follow:

Itanium 800 MHz
Red Hat Linux release 7.2 (Enigma)
kernel: 2.4.9-18smp

When building the vdk, I get the following error, during insmod:

------------------------------
Executing: insmod /opt/intel/vtune/vdk/vtune_drv-x64-2.4.9-18smpsmp.o
/opt/intel/vtune/vdk/vtune_drv-x64-2.4.9-18smpsmp.o: /opt/intel/vtune/vdk/vtune_drv-x64-2.4.9-18smpsmp.o: unresolved symbol register_percpu_irq
/opt/intel/vtune/vdk/vtune_drv-x64-2.4.9-18smpsmp.o:
Hint: You are trying to load a module without a GPL compatible license
and it has unresolved symbols. Contact the module supplier for
assistance, only they can help you.

Error: sampling driver failed to load!

You may need to build a sampling driver for your kernel.
Please see the sampling driver README for instructions.
--------------------------------

All the other installations ( EntireX, VTune Analyzer etc ) go fine.

The above kernel is NOT in the supported list of kernels for VTune. So, does this mean that the only alternative is to rebuild the kernel? I'm afraid that would be a little difficult since its a server and I'm not the sole user. Is there any work-around possible? It would be great if someone knows a solution..!!

Thanks,
rpb
0 Kudos
3 Replies
jeffrey-gallagher
Hey rpb
For VTune to run, certain drivers have to be put into the kernel (using the insmod command) so that VTune can do its work. Those drivers are created during the install: in fact, they're built to the specific kernel that you're booted up on. If you have root privilege, you can see what other kernel drivers are already in play by typing:
# lsmod
ANYWAY, the error below seems to be specific to the fact that those drivers didn't successfully build, and, they need to. A couple of thoughts:
1) Might be worth reporting this problem to http://premier.intel.com, just in
case
2) view the install log for possibly more specific information about the installation failures. Default:
/var/log/install.log
3) the VDK is opensource, and includes the appropriate license. The above error doesn't make sense to me.
Maybe try the latest vdk? Found at:
cheers
jdg
0 Kudos
rpb
Beginner
Hi jdg,

Thanks again for the reply.

Actually I could not get what exactly you meant by saying vdk was not 'built' properly. There was an object file vdk**.o which was created during installation and it failed just on insmod.

Anyway, I have submitted my queries to Intel Premium. Hopefully they'll come up with a solution !!

Thanks,
rpb
0 Kudos
jeffrey-gallagher
Please feel free to report back on your progress. You have the interest of quite a few readers, and they (and I) will be interested in what the problem was.
cheers
jdg
0 Kudos