Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4973 Discussions

vtss.sys blue screens after approximately a week of uptime

Fabian_G_
Beginner

What it says in the topic. This appears to be essentially 100% reproducible, but it took me a while to figure out what's going on. It does not occur when the VTSS service is stopped (e.g. "net stop vtss"). 

I don't have a recent minidump (that last crash didn't produce one for some reason). Running WinDbg "!analyze -v" on an older minidump reports an "EXCEPTION_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc0000094 - {EXCEPTION}  Integer division by zero" in vtss.sys.

Given that uptime seems to be a factor in this, I would hazard a guess that some time calculation inside vtss.sys is either overflowing or underflowing.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

This is a known issue in old product (but I never experienced this issue:-( ), vtss caused an exception in kernel module. I don't know if there was IRQs of vtss conflicted with others, or other software was using PMU resource, or other real-time DBG tool was installed.

One way is to stop vtss service, but user-mode data collections of VTune Amplifier still can be used. Or try to install VTune Amplifier XE 2016 in other machine, where has less 3rd-party software installed. 

0 Kudos
Ekaterina_L_Intel

Hi Fabian,

Do you observe the same behaviour with the VTune Amplifier XE 2016 Update 1 version?

If yes - what is your hardware and operating system version?

Regards, Katya

0 Kudos
Fabian_G_
Beginner

This is VTune Amplifier XE 2015 Update 4 on a Core i7-3770S running Windows 7.

0 Kudos
MIlos_P_
Beginner

Hi, 
I'm having same issues with vtss.sys. I recently updated VTune Amplifier XE 2016 and after that I'm getting same old SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION caused by driver vtss.sys, on Windows 10 64bit machine. how do you want me to post minidumps? Or do you want me maybe to upload them in archive?

0 Kudos
Ekaterina_L_Intel

Hi,

Please specify what builds of VTune 2016 and Windows 10 you are using?

There is a known issue of VTSS on Windows 10 November update (1511).  It will be addressed in future Update 2 release of VTune Amplifier XE 2016 coming soon.

In the VTune Amplifier XE 2016 Update 1  - VTSS should work on Windows 10 original release (build 10240).

Regards, Katya

0 Kudos
MIlos_P_
Beginner

Hi,

VTune xe 2016 Update 1 build 434111 and Win build 1511. Sorry didn't read through the known issues for windows when I was installing VTune. Thanks for the help. 

Enjoy Katya.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

>>>EXCEPTION_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc0000094 - {EXCEPTION}  Integer division by zero" in vtss.sys.

I would hazard a guess that some time calculation inside vtss.sys is either overflowing or underflowing.>>>

I suspect also overflow/underflow situation. What is very annoying is the occurrence of aferomentioned  exception in kernel mode, in such a case BugCheck will follow immediately.

0 Kudos
Ekaterina_L_Intel

Hello All,

An update on the two different issues with vtss.sys reported in this thread:

1. Windows 10 "1511" update support by vtss.sys - is available in the VTune Amplifier XE 2016 Update 2 since Dec 24th 2015. If your support period was valid at that time - you are eligible to upgrade to the release. 

NOTE: there is a remaining known limitation with vtss.sys on Windows* 10 OS - profiling of video playback applications may fail in some cases. The root cause is under investigation. If you experience such error - please submit Intel Premier Support issue with minudump attached.

2. "{EXCEPTION}  Integer division by zero" error in vtss.sys on Windows* 7 and - potential fix will be released in future versions of VTune later this year. There is a vtss.sys patch which we can provide to VTune customers for early verification. If you are interested in the fix testing - please submit Intel Premier Support issue with these details to receive the patch and instructions on how to apply it.

Regards, Katya

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Also, see similar issue in this thread to get fixed vtss.sys and know *steps*, in last page.

0 Kudos