Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fabian_G_
Beginner

vtss.sys blue screens after approximately a week of uptime

What it says in the topic. This appears to be essentially 100% reproducible, but it took me a while to figure out what's going on. It does not occur when the VTSS service is stopped (e.g. "net stop vtss"). 

I don't have a recent minidump (that last crash didn't produce one for some reason). Running WinDbg "!analyze -v" on an older minidump reports an "EXCEPTION_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc0000094 - {EXCEPTION}  Integer division by zero" in vtss.sys.

Given that uptime seems to be a factor in this, I would hazard a guess that some time calculation inside vtss.sys is either overflowing or underflowing.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

This is a known issue in old product (but I never experienced this issue:-( ), vtss caused an exception in kernel module. I don't know if there was IRQs of vtss conflicted with others, or other software was using PMU resource, or other real-time DBG tool was installed.

One way is to stop vtss service, but user-mode data collections of VTune Amplifier still can be used. Or try to install VTune Amplifier XE 2016 in other machine, where has less 3rd-party software installed. 

Hi Fabian,

Do you observe the same behaviour with the VTune Amplifier XE 2016 Update 1 version?

If yes - what is your hardware and operating system version?

Regards, Katya

Fabian_G_
Beginner

This is VTune Amplifier XE 2015 Update 4 on a Core i7-3770S running Windows 7.

MIlos_P_
Beginner

Hi, 
I'm having same issues with vtss.sys. I recently updated VTune Amplifier XE 2016 and after that I'm getting same old SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION caused by driver vtss.sys, on Windows 10 64bit machine. how do you want me to post minidumps? Or do you want me maybe to upload them in archive?

Hi,

Please specify what builds of VTune 2016 and Windows 10 you are using?

There is a known issue of VTSS on Windows 10 November update (1511).  It will be addressed in future Update 2 release of VTune Amplifier XE 2016 coming soon.

In the VTune Amplifier XE 2016 Update 1  - VTSS should work on Windows 10 original release (build 10240).

Regards, Katya

MIlos_P_
Beginner

Hi,

VTune xe 2016 Update 1 build 434111 and Win build 1511. Sorry didn't read through the known issues for windows when I was installing VTune. Thanks for the help. 

Enjoy Katya.

Bernard
Black Belt

>>>EXCEPTION_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc0000094 - {EXCEPTION}  Integer division by zero" in vtss.sys.

I would hazard a guess that some time calculation inside vtss.sys is either overflowing or underflowing.>>>

I suspect also overflow/underflow situation. What is very annoying is the occurrence of aferomentioned  exception in kernel mode, in such a case BugCheck will follow immediately.

Hello All,

An update on the two different issues with vtss.sys reported in this thread:

1. Windows 10 "1511" update support by vtss.sys - is available in the VTune Amplifier XE 2016 Update 2 since Dec 24th 2015. If your support period was valid at that time - you are eligible to upgrade to the release. 

NOTE: there is a remaining known limitation with vtss.sys on Windows* 10 OS - profiling of video playback applications may fail in some cases. The root cause is under investigation. If you experience such error - please submit Intel Premier Support issue with minudump attached.

2. "{EXCEPTION}  Integer division by zero" error in vtss.sys on Windows* 7 and - potential fix will be released in future versions of VTune later this year. There is a vtss.sys patch which we can provide to VTune customers for early verification. If you are interested in the fix testing - please submit Intel Premier Support issue with these details to receive the patch and instructions on how to apply it.

Regards, Katya

Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Also, see similar issue in this thread to get fixed vtss.sys and know *steps*, in last page.