Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4994 Discussions

vtune 2021 0x40000024(no data) error for hardware event based sampling

111alan
Novice

Was testing some apps on an i7 11700K platform. Since the old parallel studio 2020 does not support this CPU any longer I installed the latest one-API. The problem is, the hardware event based sampling in all profiles stops working and throws a 0x40000024 no data error when finalizing. User mode sampling seems to have no issue.

The applications I'm trying to test work with older versions of vtune and cpu without a problem. And I've already updated the ME/chipset/serialio driver to the latest version listed on motherboard's vendor site(gigabyte Z590M gamingX). Any idea about what's the cause of this? Thanks.

0 Kudos
29 Replies
AthiraM_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

Make sure that VTune self check script is running fine to validate that appropriate drivers are installed and the system is set up properly to collect performance data. See whether its working fine and share the log.

The self-check file for windows “vtune-self-checker.bat” and for linux “vtune-self-checker.sh” will be there in the <vtune-installation-directory>/bin64 folder if the VTune installation was done successfully.

Could you please let us know which version of vtune you are using?

Also share the OS details.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
AthiraM_Intel

Hi,

We haven't heard back from you. Could you please give us an update ?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
111alan
Novice

Sorry for the delayed response. Currently the platform is at another place, but I've confirmed that Cascade lake platform has no issue with new vtune(2021.2) on the same system. I'll ask my friend to check on Cypress Cove platform again for me. Thank you for your suggestion, I'll reply again when I have the results.

0 Kudos
AthiraM_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for the update. We will wait for your results.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
AthiraM_Intel

Hi,

Did you get the results? Could you please give us an update?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
111alan
Novice

Just assembled the Icelake-SP platform. Seems that no luck as well. I ran the self test and there's quite a few errors and warnings. Attached are the log file and the output of the script. 

Also I've installed and re-installed everything from Supermicro's motherboard driver page. The OS version is Windows10 20H2, vtune version is still 2021.2. Wondering what's not right here.

Thank you for your attention.

0 Kudos
AthiraM_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the result.

Could you please install the latest version of Vtune (2021.3.0) and check whether the issue still persists.

You can download the latest vtune from the below link:

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/articles/oneapi-standalone-components.html#vtune

If the issue still persists please let us know.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
111alan
Novice

Just tried it, most of the errors are gone, but "HW event-based analysis (counting mode)" still fails. The "Microarchitecture Exploration" preset can finally finish properly, but there are still some problems I encountered:

1. "MEM_LOAD_RETIRED.L1_HIT" seems to be missing in the final result chart.
2. If I add more event counters(namely MEM_LOAD_RETIRED.L2_MISS and BR_INST_RETIRED.ALL_BRANCHES) into the microarchitecture exploration preset, the "microarchitecture exploration" summary page will disappear. I remember in the old version adding more counters won't disable any feature.

3. A gui bug shown below.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
111alan
Novice

My friend just tested it on Rocketlake. Also some failures  detected, mainly no-data error. Here are the log and output.

0 Kudos
AthiraM_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for the update.

We are checking on it internally, will get back to you soon.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Kevin_O_Intel1
Employee

Can you run vtune_self_checker.sh >& log

And attach the log

Thanks

0 Kudos
111alan
Novice

Is this log only acquirable in linux version? If so I'll install a Ubuntu and try this. Thanks.

0 Kudos
matthias-vigelius

Hi,

not the original poster but I'm having the same problem. I'm running the latest version 2021.3 on i7-1165g7 (tiger lake).

Please find attached the log.

Thanks heaps!

0 Kudos
Kevin_O_Intel1
Employee

Can you verify you are using vtune 2021 update 3.... this is the latest version of vtune and should support your processor

0 Kudos
matthias-vigelius

Hi Kevin_O_Intel1,

I'm using version 2021.3.0, build 616728.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Kevin_O_Intel1
Employee

You can run vtune-self-checker.bat on windows

0 Kudos
111alan
Novice

Then I already did, and the logs and script outputs are attached above.

0 Kudos
Kevin_O_Intel1
Employee

Can you zip and attach C:\Users\vigel\AppData\Local\Temp\vtune-tmp-vigel\self-checker-2021.05.25_14.13.45\

0 Kudos
111alan
Novice

Here, there's an additional txt inside for script outputs. Thanks.

0 Kudos
matthias-vigelius

Here you go.. Thanks for taking care of it!

0 Kudos